OT: Dell 2335 copy problem

One sees 1 or 2 lines top-to-bottom in copy ONLY if original is put in the (duplexer?) feeder (is OK if put on the glass or incoming FAX or Nerd doc).

Cleaned everything the users manual talks about, even shook toner cartridge.

Nobody wants to fix it except if send back to Dell, which is equivalent to a week or so of lost $ productive use.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Robert Baer

The scan slit sounds like it may be too far from the paper. It's to the right of the glass. Does the feeder sit properly? I believe the glass scan and feeder scan use the same image camera.

Martin Riddle

For document feeder it's usually the same optics, but possibly looking through a different window. if there's a slit window beside the main document windows make sure that's clean, and unobstructed.

Alternativley I think Xerox will service other brands on-site, you will have to pay.

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

The glass scan and feeder scan mechanically uses the same camera; all the feeder does is curl the paper 180 degrees toward the glass for the scan. Everything has been cleaned,including cartridge contacts. Scan slit is on same platform as the glass, like a table having smooth surface. Positioning appears to be OK. Cleaning something usually makes one of two vertical lines (offset from center paper) disappear and the left-over line is then thinner.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I will see if the manager has tried Xerox for maintenance. Thanks for the idea.

Reply to
Robert Baer

That would be a 2335dn (double sided and network interface). Try not to truncate the model numbers.

I have one of those at a customers.

White or black line? Yes, it makes a difference.

Try the same question in:

A replacement Dell 2335dn is about $300. A repair requiring full disassembly and cleaning could approach the cost of replacement.

Vertical lines are almost always something on the glass, something on the imager, something on the LED illuminator, or something on the mirror. Since it's only on the document feed, it's probably on the glass, and not the fuser. Open the top, and look into the narrow glass strip on the left side. It doesn't take much more than dust to create a line. If you feel ambitious, remove the top, get under the glass strip, and clean the mirrors and optics. Be sure to use lint free cloths, not tissue paper or abrasive "polishing cloths".

If you're going to dive inside, and it's had more than 70,000 pages printed, you might consider a fuser replacement:

Recommended replacement for $99 (after rebate): According to my records, I've resold 14 of these so far. I always stock one or two for quick replacements.

Canon has a similar product for the same price: However, I don't like it, mostly because of noise it makes.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

  • Black line.

  • Like i said, everything that i can easily get at has been cleaned and we still get one or 2 lines. Do not know how to remove top; everybody wants a lot of money for the service manual. Aren't the glass strip, and the mirrors and optics all common to on-the-glass copying common to feeder copying? I would think so, and therefore the problem does not stem from any of them.
  • Brother stuff has always been the lowest quality stuff sold; that is a serious downgrade from Smell (oops..Dell).
  • Have found scads of decent laser print/copy/fax machines listed in Overstock, majority HP, then Xerox, Panasonic, Canon and one or two other quality brands.

Thanks for the fuser tip.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Hmmm... That's not what I expected. Black lines are usually in the printing mechanism, not the scanning area. However, you said that it works ok printing normally or using the glass copier plate. That means it has to be in the scanner area. The only way to get a black line is with a light leak somewhere in the case and onto the mirrors. If I could see the mechanism, I could probably conjur a few other things to check.

That leaves the things you couldn't easily clean. Look through the glass strip window and check if there is any visible dust or crud inside.

Sorry, but no 2335dn manual. At least they have parts:

Try the Dell 1815DN service manual: It looks to be fairly similar to the 2335DN printer.

No. The glass strip, white backing plate, and roller feed mechanisms are not the same. Usually, at least one of the mirrors is shared. The photo detector is also shared. Note that with the sheet feeder, the photo detector strip is stationary, while the paper moves. With the glass plate, the paper is stationary, and the photo detector strip moves. If you follow the paper path for the sheet feeder, you'll see that it doesn't go anywhere near the glass plate, but rather exits through a slot in the cover just before the glass plate.

Assumption, the mother of all screwups. Please look into the glass strip with a flashlight and see if there is any accumulated crud. It doesn't take much.

True, the quality is not the best. However, I can buy two or three Brother AOI printers for the price of your Dell. If you include the cost of operation and not having to screw with toner cart refill protection chips, the savings are even greater.

I'm not going to advise you as to what to purchase without knowing your requirements and limitations. All the aformentioned vendors have their winners and losers. Caveat emptor. Meanwhile, I'll just keep reselling and repairing Brother printers.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

put

or

scan.

So it is a cleaning problem. Now find out what you are not cleaning effectively.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk