OT: data transfer speed

Browser: Netscape 7.2, but this seems to be a common problem without regard to browser (the alt.netscape NG was not useful on this). The little dual-monitor Dial-Up networking icon, lower right is reporting the UART speed and not the modem communication rate. How does one get it to report correctly?

Reply to
Robert Baer

That little icon is part of Windows OS (I assume you are using Windows). As such it only knows about the the maximum speed which the serial interface can handle since the real-time serial data transfer rate can vary according to conditions.

In Windows XP for example - I have a broadband cable connection - the little icon reports the internet connection speed is 8Mbps. This is simply the maximum speed possible via the ethernet port connected to the cable modem but the actual speed might vary.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Find where you enter your "modem init string" and add, I think, "X1", which reports the actual negotiated connect speed, rather than the speed that was commanded.

You might have to look it up - I don't remember the exact code, but I did do it once, and it worked. I just now got "X1" from

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

With broadband connections you actually do connect at the maximum, in your case 8Mbps, but you are limited in throughput by the ISP. You can check this in the modem status (assuming it's smart enough to give you access).

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

Incorrect; it can report either the UART baud rate (set rate), *or* the modem baud rate (can change during use). I need to know how to make it work correctly, namely report the modem rate.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I will give that a try, but i never had to do that before,and the system defaulted to modem rate; the newsystem defaulted to UART rate.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I'm guessing that there's a difference in the default (i.e., comes with the system out of the box) modem init string from one box to the other.

I'm fairly confident that looking at the modem init strings could tell you something about the differences here.

Or, it could be a difference in the modem's own default setup. Take a look, and let us know what you find out, OK?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

All systems that i still have show nothing for the modem init string. I tried "X1" as well as "ATX1'with zero difference. Any other suggestions?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Messing around with a different modem driver (i lied and installed a standard modem), additional "init" strings, and a different modem (one that had a real Rockwell chip in it) and found the following: The stupid modem was the problem: "CenDyne" brand "P/N:56K RS-232 Modem" FCC registration number US: 5RJFB09BAME-CA95. It *always* reports the com port speed and !cannot! report the line communication rate. Pisser! Steer clear of these; they seem to be common and might be the only external modems that one can buy new.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Not really, other than, "Ask around."

Sorry. Rich