OT - CRT's

whit3rd wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Nice try, but that stupid shit falls on its face from the get go.

And you go 'round smelling bull hips... That's a tell. You sniff their nuts too?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

** Nothing in that link backs you up.

** Nor that one.

** Nor that one.

** Deflection is NOT focussing.

** Yawnnnnnnn ....

Piss off you stupid wog idiot.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

On a sunny day (Sat, 25 May 2019 05:10:00 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Phil Allison wrote in :

At least you knwo something!

Pills is not focussing either, do not forget those.

No it is spelled Pill :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 25 May 2019 05:10:00 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Pill Allison wrote

Actually I would not call a class D audio amp analog, it is PWM, neither would I call a switchmode supply analog. Class A and class B amplifiers yes. A 7805 is an analog regulator, the switch modes are switchmodes.

Trigger level check:

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Digital means that there are only a limited number of possible value, i.e. how many "fingers" do you see (quantization).

If you have an analog audio signal, a linear ramp and a comparator to generate PWM, where is the quantization ? Sampled, yes, but not quantized.

OTOH, if a digital audio sample is loaded into a counter, which starts the pulse and when the counter has counted down to zero, the pulse is reset. The pulse width can only have a limited discrete number of counter clock cycles, it can't have any other lengths in between. In this case, the PWM output is both sampled as well as quantized, so you could argue that this is a digital amplifier.

There is not so much conceptual difference with amplitude (voltage or current) and pulse width. Both can be eider continuous (analog) or assume only a limited number of discrete values (digital).

Reply to
upsidedown

On a sunny day (Sat, 25 May 2019 18:00:53 +0300) it happened snipped-for-privacy@downunder.com wrote in :

Agreed, but I was careful not to mention the word 'digital'. When buying some audio amp I would sure like to know if it is class D or class B, partly because of possible RF at the output. I would therefore not call a PWM audio amp 'analog', although your arguing is correct. Not sure what audiophiles would call a class D. I bought some class D from ebay in 2015, those lasted not very long....

Not sure what I did wrong with it, my other linear amps just had no problem with the same loads...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

** But analoge is exactly what it is.

** Which is varied proportionally and infinitesimally to match an analogue signal.

Bout as analogue as you can get.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Unless there is a problem with the insulation of the anode wire I would not expect ozone from a CRT TV. Laser printers sure, and TVs that are arcing internally and about to die, but not working ones.

There is radon present in houses in enough places to make it a significant cause of lung cancer. Certainly it is present in every house I have lived in.

Reply to
Chris Jones

My uncle Sheldon, who started me in electronics, was a rascal. He had a TV repair service and had kids go out in trucks to make house calls. Some sets had the CRT and then a flat cover glass. If people smoked, particles would accumulate on the CRT face and make the picture dim. They'd take the set back to the shop, Windex it, and charge for a new picture tube.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On a sunny day (Mon, 27 May 2019 07:37:44 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

I had a TV repair shop for many years, and you could increase brightness by wiping of the nicotine tar from the smokers with alcohol. I have been exposed to that stuff so much I should have been dead? As to the radioactivity, well we had Chernobyl, do not eat vegetables from you garden thing. Bit of radioactivity is probably good, prevents or kills cancer, an other place were I worked had the airco filters replaced after Chernobyl because those were so hot. I run a radiation counter (GM tube) 24/7 and have been logging counts per minute for years now. Well, bit more of trumpism and it may set of the alarm. Come to think of it, that barrier in tunnel diodes is a bit like trumps wall, Nothing can go through, but still life forms tunnel through and jump over it.

hehe LOL y

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

In worse cases, the high-voltage lead and contents of the HV shield box had to be cleaned of the tar and dust sitting pasted to the tar. I had some flash-overs due to the mess.

--

-TV
Reply to

There was also some valuable placebo effect.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On a sunny day (Mon, 27 May 2019 11:12:59 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

I know what a placebo effect is but how in this relation?

As to radiation, an other place I worked (large linear accelerator) got badly contaminated with radiation a few years after I left. Those guys were careless, that was clear from my first day there... I quit the first day! Serendipity had me come back there years later... Fear was overcome? But it was justified in retrospect!

What bothers me is the fear mongering by clueless greenies. There was a nice video of wildlife after Chernobyl on youtube how it thrived, wolves, birds in the no go area, and guess what, it is removed.

Just today I was reading that some genes determine if you become old without getting things like altzheimer or Parkinson. In Dutch (use google translate perhaps)

Makes perfect sense, I worked with 60/40 solder from 4 years upward, now if you mention the world 'lead' people freeze in fear.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I never work with 60/40 leaded solder.

63/37.
--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On a sunny day (Mon, 27 May 2019 13:24:48 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

I still use it:

Have some other stuff too, silver, other ratios.

I figured out your placebo comment, no I always tried to do a honest trade. No lack of customers, people will find out, if not from you then from an other repair shop. 'tube was replaced' 'no that is an old one'.

My uncle had a jewel and watch repair shop, in my high school days I would sneak there. It is in the genes, mechanics and soldering, grandfather too.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Storing vacuum. It has to go somewhere.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

On a sunny day (Tue, 28 May 2019 00:16:38 +0100) it happened Clive Arthur wrote in :

I thought they used politician heads for that?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Jan Panteltje wrote in news:qchd7d$gr0$1 @dont-email.me:

I saw it... years ago. But the video I saw DID show where certain species were affected, and a couple new ones may have morphed out of those.

It DID have an effect. It is not about fear mongering, it is about basic safety and truth. I doubt the video was removed. More likely it was cancelled because the poster did not have the right to post non-public material and the actual copyright owners got it pulled. Why don't you try to find the video from its actual source? Or noticing who made the video was not all that high on your brain list of things to do...

Go build your house right over the failure location. Not out in the zone... Right over ground zero.

You make some pretty dumb statements sometimes.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Jan Panteltje wrote in news:qchij2$j6e$1 @dont-email.me:

60/40 is lame for electronics. The military, and science community studied and settled on 63/37 over half a century ago.

You were right about at least one thing. Metallic form lead is not an environmental hazard.

So your 60/40 and my (and the rest of the EE world) 63/37 is perfectly fine.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

That's like a light bulb is really a "Dark Sucker", and when you turn it on, it sucks all the dark out of the room.