OT: Conservative columnist sees the light

David Brooks, Nov. 21/08 nytimes.com

"Obama seems to have dispensed with the romantic and failed notion that you need inexperienced =93fresh faces=94 to change things. After all, it was L.B.J. who passed the Civil Rights Act. Moreover, because he is so young, Obama is not bringing along an insular coterie of lifelong aides who depend upon him for their well-being."

As a result, the team he has announced so far is more impressive than any other in recent memory. One may not agree with them on everything or even most things, but a few things are indisputably true.

First, these are open-minded individuals who are persuadable by evidence. Orszag, who will probably be budget director, is trusted by Republicans and Democrats for his honest presentation of the facts.

Second, they are admired professionals. Conservative legal experts have a high regard for the probable attorney general, Eric Holder, despite the business over the Marc Rich pardon.

Third, they are not excessively partisan. Obama signaled that he means to live up to his postpartisan rhetoric by letting Joe Lieberman keep his committee chairmanship.

Fourth, they are not ideological. The economic advisers, Furman and Goolsbee, are moderate and thoughtful Democrats. Hillary Clinton at State is problematic, mostly because nobody has a role for her husband. But, as she has demonstrated in the Senate, her foreign- policy views are hardheaded and pragmatic. (It would be great to see her set of interests complemented by Samantha Power=92s set of interests at the U.N.)

Finally, there are many people on this team with practical creativity. Any think tanker can come up with broad doctrines, but it is rare to find people who can give the president a list of concrete steps he can do day by day to advance American interests. Dennis Ross, who advised Obama during the campaign, is the best I=92ve ever seen at this, but Rahm Emanuel also has this capacity, as does Craig and legislative liaison Phil Schiliro.

Believe me, I=92m trying not to join in the vast, heaving O-phoria now sweeping the coastal haut-bourgeoisie. But the personnel decisions have been superb. The events of the past two weeks should be reassuring to anybody who feared that Obama would veer to the left or would suffer self-inflicted wounds because of his inexperience. He=92s off to a start that nearly justifies the hype."

Reply to
J.A. Legris

,

David Brooks, long ago turned in his "conservative" cedentials.

Reply to
bulegoge

[snip]

nytimes.com == LIBERAL-BIASED BARF

Obama wants to continue bail-outs. Is that rational? Experienced?

FYI: $700B can be viewed various ways... 5% depreciation in the value of your money, or an additional 5% sales tax on top of what is already there.

And it ain't going to stop at $700B :-(

...Jim Thompson

     Liberals are so cute.  Dumb as a box of rocks, but cute.

Since the most recent comparable depression started in 1929, direct experience is in short supply.

Fortunately, Obama seems to have enough sense to listen to the people who have learned something from studying the 1929 crash and the no- bail-out policies that gave us the Great Depression

which is more than can be said for Jim, who never seems to miss a chance to to remind us how reliably out of touch with reality he is.

Which sounds bad, until you compare with the consequences of a 1930- style Depression.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Hey! Jim was a surly old codger back then too!

Entropy: When your shoelace comes untied, you can\'t fix it
         by walking backwards.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

That is what we get in return for the milk subsidies. Most of it goes to school lunches and the rrest to welfare, or food pantries for the homeless, along with the generic peanut butter. I never had either from any source, since I took my own lunch to school for years.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell