OT: Civil War Monuments

r.

was

war but certain monuments are not coming down. They can have Davis, Maury a nd possibly (but not likely) the locally unpopular Lee, but there will be h ell to pay if anyone goes near Jackson, Stuart or Hill.

Whatever...

ent

And?

The slaves in Richmond were well off. See section Enslaved African American s at

rt_entry And there were bunches of free blacks living in the city in violation an ol d law in place since 1806 that free blacks were required to leave the state . They continued to live in the city because life was good there.

eas

How ignorant can one person be?!? Richmond did not erect the monuments. The monuments were erected by an array of organizations representing state-wid e interests over at least a 25 year period long after the war had ended. Th e city was chosen because it is the capital. It's not the city that will be opposed to removing the monuments, it will be the whole state.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

The Talibaning of America.

Reply to
krw

The Poles and Czechs blew up the statues of Lenin and Stalin when they finally could. I can understand some black people not wanting statues of Robert E Lee all over the place. That's not oppression.

 Click to see the full signature

Democrats have always been "eager oppressors". ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

And we've erected statues black leaders who fought segregation. So what? History is. Get over it.

Reply to
krw

Cecil Rhodes fenced his Rhodes Scholarships in with a ridiculous bunch of c onstraints - he wanted to select future leaders of the empire, and had funn y ideas about what they ought to look like. He probably thought that they o ught to be white, but seems to have relied on the leadership stuff to sort that out (which it didn't).

When I was a graduate student a couple of my more boring acquaintances got Rhodes scholarships, but they'd had to take up acceptable sports to qualify - field hockey didn't hack it - and jump through a bunch of other hoops.

Shell Scholarships were judged on academic merit, and the people who won th em were much better company.

Australia's past and current prime ministers were both Rhodes Scholars. The previous one - Tony Abbott - did boxing and PPE and is a right-wing meat-h ead.

The current one is a lawyer, remarkably smart, but not all that sporty. He did play some Rugby Union at University (which Rhodes would have liked) and was an active surf life-saver (which Rhodes wouldn't have had a clue about ).

To my mind the Rhodes scholarships are bit too idiosyncratic to be an unmix ed blessing. Rhodes' other political activities were rather more controvers ial.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

(Great cast)

Reply to
krw

Fanatical and Arab has it's detractors too.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

A compelling argument indeed!

And?

"Richmond" does not have to refer to the government. The government does not create the culture of the city, in fact, it is the other way around.

--

Rick C
Reply to

If you didn't spend enough on educating the lower orders when you were in power, you can expect unsophisticated behaviour from the people you used to oppress.

The US has the same problem if not to same extent, and James Arthur wants the mistake to persist.

After all, the Tea Party has got Trump under control (for the moment).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Just like here, maybe it's time everyone returned to their homelands.

Here that means the native Americans get the whole country.

--

Rick C
Reply to

ger.

na was

g war but certain monuments are not coming down. They can have Davis, Maury and possibly (but not likely) the locally unpopular Lee, but there will be hell to pay if anyone goes near Jackson, Stuart or Hill.

or

it.

time

reat

sident

icans at

#start_entry

n old law in place since 1806 that free blacks were required to leave the s tate.. They continued to live in the city because life was good there.

ideas

The monuments were erected by an array of organizations representing state

-wide interests over at least a 25 year period long after the war had ended . The city was chosen because it is the capital. It's not the city that wil l be opposed to removing the monuments, it will be the whole state.

Culture??? LOL- too funny.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Horrific black-on-white killings of farmers in RSA go on every week - unreported. They're so stupid they even kill the only people with the wherewithal to grow food for them!!

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I guess it is a good thing the whites came to Africa just in time to save all those po' blacks. They could have gone extinct!

--

Rick C
Reply to

If they are so offensive, why didn't Obama have them all removed?

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell
[snip]

Just wait! The Islamic Terrorists are systematically destroying *all* of the monuments to Middle East history... and they'll eventually get all the ones that the pansy Europeons don't destroy on their own.

In the USA we seem destined to stand by and let the ANTIFA destroy every semblance of American history and civilization from within :-(

Sometimes too much "civility" is a mistake. I long for the good old days of the Wild West... some pansy comes into the saloon touting "no guns in town"... shoot him in the ass >:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Not quite right. Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson hasn't noticed that El Qaeda concentrates on destroying representations of human beings, which are banned by their religion.

I thought that that was the Tea Party. Presumably they have spawned a left wing equivalent.

Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson believes that Westerns were historical documents. "Civility" is merely a side effect of living in cities - Westerns are set in small towns, where Jim-Thompson type behaviour is less of a problem.

Jim didn't like Boston, from which is can be deduced that Boston didnt think much of him and his red-neck small-town attitudes.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

He lacks such authority (no federal jurisdiction), but the point is well taken: the statues are innocent, memorials of time gone by.

Then a hate group puts together an innocent-sounding rally in the name of some obscure affiliate group, gets a rally permit, and proceeds to insult and despise at high volume. To get publicity, of course.

The 'statement' after a woman was run down by a car, just more of the same. The statues are just fine, were never more than an excuse for an incitement-to-riot episode to draw cameras and microphones.

Reply to
whit3rd

In other words you're a "regressive".

I'll leave shooting some guy in the ass up to you. Just use protection.

Reply to
lonmkusch