OT: Chest freezer cycle times and noises

Hello Folks,

Our 13-year old chest freezer died. Compressor open. Could be the overload protection but anyhow, there must be a reason it came on so we replaced it with a small 5.5 cuft unit from Sunbeam. The old one was (to my amazement) always totally silent, the new one isn't:

Makes the normal compressor grumble just as older fridges do, not loud but audible. It cycles 3-4 times per hour which seems a bit much to me, the duty cycle is roughly 40% at 65F ambient. Is this normal for chest freezers these days?

It also makes light internal splashing noises in the freon tubing, like a little table fountain. Manual says it can be normal. Is it really?

Oh, and of course as usual it has no failure alarm. Beats me why they don't.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

If all we had to worry about was the freezer dying, I'd take the risk. Ours is an upright model, and various family members have had chronic trouble checking that it's closed properly.... I finally attached a garden gate spring to the outside of the door, so now it works, but it looks a bit like Frankenfridge.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

't.

Yeah it's normal if you don't have an thermal mass inside it...

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

on't.

t- Hide quoted text -

Oh great- a death trap for a clueless child...would have been a LOT easier to adjust the front legs for a 3% slope front to back....maybe a little silicon grease on the hinge axles if it's stubborn.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Probably has one of the new variable speed compressors. They can run 50% duty cycle.

Yup. My *GACK* KitchenAid (Maytag) fridge (MTBF of 3.5 years) made the most fascinating array of sounds. Splashes, gurgles, buzzes, pops and the occasional very loud BANG! The factory said it was all 'perfectly normal' too. I do not miss that piece of crap one bit.

$

Good luck!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Just bought a Frididaire 9 cubic ft upright about two months ago, and it does have a temp high and door ajar alarm as standard equipment. It was no more expensive than the comp. Whirlpoor without the alarms. It runs and runs and runs. Frost free exacts a penalty. Tom

Reply to
hifi-tek

In the kitchen? You must have a very tolerant wife :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Real engineers use bungee cords. Well, I did, anyhow.

John

Looks like the usual simple Chinese compressor deal, no VFD or anything attached.

A bang is normal? Oh man. Never heard that one before, scary. Half an hour ago we had a new Maytag front loading washer installed. That one has the classic VF drive whine. It's much quieter than the old top loader and the spin sounds like a jet engine spools up.

:-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

It isn't the child who's clueless, it's the one who gives engineering opinions without actually seeing the installation. ;)

Besides, the smallest child round here is about 5 feet 10.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Nah, it's in the basement--hence the difficulty. If it were in the kitchen, we'd notice.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Uh Oh.

Well, a chronic issue for ~ 6 years, then mercifully the compressor died. Again.

Please let us know your experiences with this one. I am optimistic that Whirlpool's purchase of Maytag may yet (and at long last) result in good quality appliances.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Those Klixxon / starter thingies are consumable. I replaced mine and got another bunch of years' service.

If the motor still had continuity at the terminal box, that may've been all you needed.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

This might amuse you--the new energy standards for washing machines make them useless (Consumer Reports):

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Not a problem. I picked it up yesterday and the service center is up and running. Had to call them because some weird remark in the manual that the unit won't restart if power is interrupted while running and restored in less than 3-5mins. Since we have the occasional 30sec outage that would have been a non-starter here. Turns out that isn't quite so, it comes back after a wait time of around a minute.

Sometimes I wonder why is it always me who has to find errors in manuals and datasheets ...

Actually the machine that was just hauled away was a Whirlpool. Its transmission died. It left a little pile of gooey molten gunk, metal shavings and rust underneath. 14 years life is IMHO not too great but ok. These machines are slamming the gears too hard and the new Maytag doesn't do that.

First load is just going through. Loads usually take longer with front loader machines. The seal is not as cleverly done as on European machines and sure enough a sock got in there. We'll see if it gets shredded ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Don't you know you're supposed to wash your nylons by hand? GDARFC ;-) ...Jim Thompson

               Romneycare is nothing like Obamacare
           Except for those parts which are the same ;-)

Those standards seem to make it more wise to buy a front loader these days. But I know what you mean, it's like with low-flow toilets. Now, after some "big business" people have to flush twice. Nobody wants to be a three-flusher but sometiems we'll all have to.

Well, what can ya do? The reviews for this machine were quite good. We'll see. It does need a special HE-type detergent though. To my surprise they threw in a small bag of that and even the new connector hoses were all included. Free setup, and hauling the old one away was just a $10 fee.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Older dude, the Charles Bronson kind, told us a trick. "Now I'm tellin' ya sumthin about ridin' them horsees. And ya oarn't s'posed to say ya hurd it from me. Ya hear?" and went on to tell us that he wore nylons over his long underwear. Said it cuts down on the rashes from very long rides.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Well, the ohmmeter said no to that one :-(

But we didn't want to risk losing all that food again. It was almost a freezer's worth of money.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

't.

I would want to measure current. We had a very large one, was very quiet, hardly ever on, and after30years, gave it away.

Greg