OT Car Battery Explodes

Yesterday my wife's Toyota Corolla had a battery moment.

When she started the car, after it had been parked it for about two hours, there was a loud explosion.

The results of the battery's side splitting event can be viewed at

ftp://ftp.meraka.csir.co.za/pub/in/Battery_Explode/

The battery centre suggested it was possibly over charged. After I installed the new battery I measured a charging voltage of between 14.2 and 14.3 volts - depending on the engine refs.

According to my knowledge a charging voltage of 14.2 to 14.3 volts is quite OK for a charged car battery.

Any suggestions why the battery exploded. The battery showed no signs of failing before the event, so I doubt that the battery level was low as someone suggested. I also topped up the battery with distilled water about 3 months ago.

Regards

Gerhard van den Berg

Reply to
Gerhard

The explosion was due to hydrogen around the battery, plus an igniting spark. The presence of hydrogen indicated that the battery had been (recently) charged. Some kind of loose connection created that igniting spark on startup. The car may have been parked for 2 hours, but that hydrogen is non-mute testimony of the battery had been charged.

Reply to
Robert Baer

It doesn't look over charged, at least as a cronic condition (no bulging sides), the failure (expolsion) was internal judging from the fact that the end panels blew out.

How high was teh ambient temperature?

Reply to
PeterD

rs,

alled

s -

uite

he

up.

How can free hydrogen "around" the battery blow the end panel out? The over-pressure arose on the inside on the battery. I would second the opinion that the electrolyte level was low.

By the way, did anyone bother to neutralize the spilled acid inside the engine compartment? All surfaces were possibly contaminated. Rinse them with water, then a baking soda/water solution and then more water to prevent widespread corrosion. Don't trust the service guys to do it

- they don't have any baking soda.

-- Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris

(...)

But keep the baking soda *away* from your nice new battery!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

--
Why?
Reply to

Bottles of "soda water" work nicely, and leave little residue. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Baking soda (or any base) that inadvertently falls into any battery cell will tend to neutralize the acid in that cell, making the battery unsuitable for further use.

Leaving the caps on will not protect the battery. DAMHIKT!

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Robert Baer wrote in news:ZNqdnfESH4Vm7uLRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.localnet:

amazing that a car sitting outside for 2 hrs could build up enough hydrogen under the hood to explode the battery. I'd think that the usual wind currents would dissipate any hydrogen.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jim Yanik

How can free hydrogen "around" the battery blow the end panel out? The over-pressure arose on the inside on the battery. I would second the opinion that the electrolyte level was low.

By the way, did anyone bother to neutralize the spilled acid inside the engine compartment? All surfaces were possibly contaminated. Rinse them with water, then a baking soda/water solution and then more water to prevent widespread corrosion. Don't trust the service guys to do it

- they don't have any baking soda.

-- Joe

I pitched at the scene about 20 mins later with two boxes of baking soda (250gm each) form the chemist. We pushed the car out of the garage onto the driveway for a good hose down of the engine compartment.

After I removed the battery, the engine and panels had a thorough hose down for about 5 to 10 minutes. At one stage, I did sprinkle some baking soda into some of the areas below and around the battery where I worried about some ingress of acid into joints. Will pressure spray the engine compartment from top and bottom over the weekend. No service centre was involved.

We then proceeded to neutralise the acid pool on the concrete garage floor. Use the two boxes plus some we had at home. Moped up the mess and then washed the area twice using some water and baking soda.

Then I dashed off to the battery shop to get a replacement - just made it before clossing. Set me back about $100.

The electrolyte level might have been low, but I doubt it. The battery performed well through cold spells a couple of weeks before. Bad starting performance is usually the first sign of low electrolyte levels.

For those interested - location South Africa - temperature was +-20C Spring has arrived.

Gerhard van den Berg

Reply to
Gerhard

I don't think "under the hood" would blow the battery itself.

I'd suspect a case crack to begin with, with a significant drop in electrolyte.

Maybe over-tightened retainer clamps?

I'm seeing Johannesburg at 82°F and quite dry; other ZA cities even cooler. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

You might look carefully for a short circuit on the positive lead to the chassis. That would be my best guess.

tm

tm

You migth just be onto something.

There might have been a "sudden" loss of electrolyte due to a battery crack. The battery is more than 5 years old. We bought the second hand 5 years ago. The battery clamp did not seem to be over tight but ... the plastic tray underneath the battery was replaced by another that did not fit properly The tray had two bumps that were suppose to line up with holes in the chassis. The one did but the other pushed up and created a high point underneath the battery. This might have cracked the battery bottom and result in a "sudden" loss of electrolyte. Don't worry. The bump that did not line up was removed by box cutter before the battery was replaced.

Can phone the battery centre tomorrow to check the battery bottom. Hope it is still available. If there are no cracks we need some more ideas. I also need to check the driveway for some signs of acid drip on the way into the garage.

Gerhard van den Berg

Reply to
Gerhard

--
As I understand it, most battery caps (when tightened down, as they
should be) provide no direct access to the electrolyte.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

Thanks for the heads-up - will check.

Gerhard van den Berg

Reply to
Gerhard

Plugged vents?

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

One of those wonderful "sealed" batteries? ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I agree. Car batteries may explode when shorted. Maybe its just a manufacturing defect.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Nico Coesel

I've had single cell shorts. Gradual failure... slow cranking. No explosions, ever, and I've been driving for 55 years.

It's possible that the issue is actually starter related... maybe a shorted starter or solenoid.

That will sure blown a battery apart, not from hydrogen, but simply steam pressure :-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Actually, I HAVE blown a battery... struck a match to a vent port one time to demonstrate that, according to a recent Chem 5.001 (MIT, 1959) lecture, the mix would burn, but not explode.

It blew... I still retain the tinnitus :-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature