OT: Calendar Software Recommendations

I have an ancient calendar software called Perfect Time, dating wa-a-a-ay back.

Just a plain vanilla calendar, looking much like the multi-squared thingy on your desk.

But the alarm function is broken on Win2K.

Anyone have recommendations? No M$ products please ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I rarely leave the office and very rarely travel... last trip was February 2; I even have a client that I've worked with for almost five years, but I've never met him ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature
[snip]

I had a client show up here just to verify I was a real person... even took my picture ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I rarely take my PDA anywhere, most of the time it sits in its cradle on my desk. But, it is the handiest little bugger there ever was. I use the calander function, and the alarms to orchestrate my day, and help me meet appointments. The phone directory is better than any rolodex. I keep it plugged into my Linux PC, and using kpilot, I can keep it synced, and I can enter anything I need into the PDA, or, I can use the stylus, and the script that it understands.

Palm Vx's are going for $20 on ebay, complete. As I said, they are the handiest little buggers.

-Chuck Harris

Reply to
Chuck Harris

Poppycock!

You obviously haven't heard of Linux, BSD, and the Open Source movement!

There are dozens of free calander programs that are available free that run under linux, or any other unix variant. Many run under 'doze too.

Put google to work, you can find everything that is out there.

Try something like : calander program, free, windows

-Chuck Harris

Reply to
Chuck Harris

Time to pick up a PDA? I resisted the lure for a long time but found out that the little buggers really are useful.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Hello Jim,

Ancient programs (aka DOS programs) were the best.

Same here. I believe only Windows programs can alarm reliably via the Windows OS. Whatever reliable means on that OS.

Ok, I know, I know. But if you bought a PC with some basic stuff included it may already contain MS-Works or some Office SW. I used Works for almost a decade to remind me of sales tax filing deadlines and all sorts of stuff. Worked fine. In the DOS days it cost me about $100 for the whole package, now usually free because the PCs come loaded with it. Its new calendar is a bit too glitzy for me but I was told it works almost as good as the DOS version did.

Just give it a shot.

I have a client whom I never met for technical reasons in over ten years. It was always electronic transfers, even in the 1200-9600bps days. Once we did meet but only because the CEO wanted to.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 15:40:41 -0700, Jim Thompson wroth:

Most applications running under a M$ operating system, whether the application was written by M$ or somebody else, make so much use of the M$ operating system, that they might as well have been written by M$.

Unless you have an old CP/M system or an Apple ][, I don't think it's possible to get completely away from M$ and its software tenticles.

Even those old systems made use of M$ Basic.

Jim

Reply to
James Meyer

Do you *want* to keep using the old program? If so, and if it's a DOS program, then this tool will allow it to use the sound card under Win2k or XP.

Reply in group, but if emailing add
2 more zeros and remove the obvious.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

You don't even have to break a sweat to find one that can do that!

Try Gnome Calendar 1.20, or Korganizer.

-Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Harris

Sure do, but I couldn't find any with a "year" view.

Reply to
OBones

[snip]

Thanks, Mark, looks good! I downloaded and installed. Will play with it and report back.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Mozilla. It has a calendar feature as well as browser and e-mail/newsgroups. Best of all it isn't an M$ product and is cross platform.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

You omitted OS/2-eCS which is alive and well with a growing list of free and not-free apps. A quick look on

, search on "calendar" shows 28 of them for OS/2-eCS all free.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Yeh, but getting them under windows is a challenge... I'll check for the gnome calendar though.

Reply to
OBones

Try Mozilla's bloat-ware calendar. I don't use it, but I took a look at it and it appeared to do the right thing. It is a stand-alone app.

Mozilla also has a calendar plugin for their Firefox browser.

Mozilla also has a great AdBlock plugin.

--
Mark
Reply to

I use the calendar from the Mozilla family:

It has some issues (printing, in particular) but I'm hoping that these will be resolved in future releases. The problem here is that I don't know how much (if any) development activity there is on this project and there hasn't been a release since March. I also don't know if it can operate stand-alone or if it needs Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird installed to work.

Whatever you use, I recommend that you choose something that supports the iCal standard. This *should* guarantee that your calendar database is portable across supporting applications. I can confirm that it works (reasonably) well between Mozilla and the net-based calendar at axentra.net. I keep my calendar db on axentra and can (theoretically) connect to, and manipulate, it from any computer running Mozilla Calendar.

For simple "remind me in xx minutes" or "at 4pm today" things, I use Phatsoft TMR:

.

It is basically a GUI for the Windows task scheduler and I find it works quite well. It also works as a quick way to schedule programs to run. I use it to start up my TV card

If you *really* want to go nuts, there are ports of 'cron' for Windows. I assume there must be lots of *nix calendars that can tap into its power.

Marmot Engineering . . . . . . .  VHDL, ASICs, FPGAs, embedded systems
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Hubberstey

Calander is a plug-in. Sunbird is the stand-alone app.

Reply to
JeffM