OT: Calendar Software

What Calendar software is everyone using?

I need something that can manage lots of events with pop-up alarms... I'm notorious for getting into deep concentration and forgetting appointments and planes ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Jim. That comes with aging.

Reply to
Warren Weber

Naaah! I've always been a bit foggy-brained... comes with thinking in the language of circuits instead of English ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I just put things in my Palm Vx, and let it beep at me when it is time to do something. It serves as my alarm clock, scheduler, phone book, ...

-Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Harris

Uh, a wall clock and a calendar? Maybe a wristwatch?

??? Rich

--
"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Pogo Possum
Reply to

Nah - couldn't be. Circuits make sense. You've got a brain-fog that has induced you to embrace neoconism. This is a very serious disorder, and you need medical attention immediately, if not sooner!

Good Luck! Rich

--
"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Pogo Possum
Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

For a number of years, I had a Sieko wrist-watch that I could plug into a small keyboard, and program with a bunch of alarms up to about a month in advance, so the watch would sound an alarm say half an hour before my appointment at the dentist, and show me a message reminding me that it was the dentist and when I had to get there.

Worked splendidly, but the coil that ran around the rim of the watch (inside the case) to make the RF link, ran too close to the battery housing, which meant that ham-handed jewellers broke the wire from time-to-time, so that Sieko had to replace it, and eventually Sieko stopped supporting the system.

Casio's PC-Unite watch had an infra-red link to your PC which should have done the same job, if the IR link had worked more often - mine worked exactly once ...

The latest mobile phones seem to be light enough that you could carry them around all the time, like a watch - they can talk to your computer, and they might do the trick.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

Hello Jim,

I used MS-Works for many years, then went back to paper (Time/System) when the laptop battery runtimes for new machines became paltry.

So a Cordon Bleu is a Cascode Steak?

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

A Palm and Palm desktop is great for this.

I use my mobile phone now with Outlook, not quite as good but more convenient.

Reply to
IanM

Jim,

I use MS Outlook on my PC and synchronize its calendar with my Palm. I keep hoping my old Palm III will break so I'll have an excuse to upgrade :-)

--
James T. White
Reply to

Not quite, but I do have "visions of schematics dancing in my head"... I have this gift where I can play a schematic in my head and decide if it'll work or not ;-)

As for steaks, I AM getting that down to a science... did a 2" thick rib eye last night... turned at an internal temperature of 100°F, pulled at 35°F... perfecto rare!

Watched the news on TV OUTSIDE on the patio while it grilled ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Hello Jim,

Did you stick a thermometer in there? I thought that is considered cheating among barbeque (ah, sorry, grill) fans.

I never do that although there is an outside TV outlet at the location where the barbie sits during summer. Later in the evening we do watch the news out there. Not right now. It's 68F during the day but drops to

45-50F at night.

Hah, but we can also watch old movies outside (modulator in the house). Now I have to figure out a way to pipe the remote signal back inside. Technically it's a no-brainer but I don't want to solder for a few hours just for that feature.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

I kept getting them too well done. So I bought one of those RF remote probes... works great, particularly at Thanksgiving... I wander around talking to everyone and my pocket alarm goes off when the turkey is done.

It was 81°F yesterday... must be that global warming ;-)

Check into Channel Plus. They have some way to implement an IR repeater that talks down the coax to the unit you want to control.

I haven't done it yet, but that's a project I want to do. Apparently as simple as changing the outlet plate and adding a repeater at the equipment location.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Hello Jim,

I eye-balled one of these but decided it's too high tech for a charcoal Weber. Plus there really isn't any cool enough spot to mount the transmitter and the wire would have to be threaded through the top vent. This vent has a circular slider and it would be too easy to accidentally slice the cable.

And some will say it's all Bush's fault, then hop into their fat SUV.

Maybe I did too good of a job making sure there are no reflections. Each room and outside port has two coaxes. One is a feeder and these all terminate into a 75ohm summing node. The other is the delivery cable and each has it's own emitter follower with series resistor, to make sure they don't influence each other and there won't be much ghosting even on a sloppy TV tuner design.

So, the reverse path is kind of blocked. Unless I'd use the feeder system but that would be some nasty wiring at the VCR (since it goes to the modulator, not the VCR).

If you have daisy chain coax and not a home-run star architecture it could work.

I never really understood why remote are still IR. Takes one flower pot between the stereo and you and it won't work. Why don't they use RF? It's not rocket science.

Maybe that's the thing to do. Place an ISM transmitter inside the remote and a receiver in the VCR. OTOH that would make the never-ending list of honey-do projects even longer.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

I am currently wearing a Timex Datalink watch, although I haven't used the datalink function for a few years. It can hold a library of phone numbers and names, and quite a few appointments.

The download function was done by displaying patterns of horizontal lines on a CRT monitor. The watch picked up the patterns with a little phototransistor, I assume (it's got a tiny "eye" at the top of the face). Because of the scanning of the CRT monitor, the watch sees the horizontal line patterns as a blinking light pattern.

The problem is that I can't download to it because I haven't had a CRT monitor for a couple years now. It won't work with LCD monitors because they don't scan like CRTs.

I wouldn't be suprised if Microsoft had a hand in the design of this watch. It occasionally crashes and needs rebooting. A few times a year I will just find the display blank. If you take the back off you find a tiny reset button, and when you press it the watch starts working again, but you've lost the time and appointments and stored phone numbers. And it's not just a dead battery because it's done it with a battery only a month old, that has continued to power the watch for years afterward.

Part of the fun of this watch is that a couple times a year I get to say "Hey, my watch crashed again, it needs rebooting." :-)

Reply to
Carl Smith

RF is a bit of a pain in the butt when both you and your neighbor leave your id set to the manufacturer's default.

IR works great, if they would only do it correctly. Instead of using a directed beam, they need to use a bright diffused beam that bounces off of everything in the room.

-Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Harris

My JVC stuff is daisy-chained, so I only have to aim at a single spot to control TV, Video, CD, DVD, etc.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Try the B&O remotes. Two detectors on the sets, instead of one, well designed AGC, and a transmitter with a fan of LED's. You can operate the set, by pointing the remote at the back of a settee in front of the unit, and it still sees th bounced signal. It contrasts so strongly, with units that need the remote aimed fairly accurately, and still don't get through...

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

Hello Chuck,

No problem, use spread spectrum. That's what our wireless phone does, and the one before that. We never had any interference whatsoever and all neighbors have wireless phones. The technology is cheap.

For some reason the European stuff we took with us has that, you can point the remote anywhere. The stuff we bought here in the US can't do that. The remote already quits when you stand at a 45deg angle from the unit, no matter how good you aim. Beats me why, considering that almost anything comes from Asia these days no matter where you buy it.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 00:55:00 GMT, Richard the Dreaded Libertarian Gave us:

This retard has turned into a drunken troll. Good job Richtard.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs