OT but not political NoMoRoBo

NoMoRoBo is a way to reduce the number of robot calls. It uses simultaneou s ring to answer the phone , then asks a question which the robot does not understand , and if no answer from the robot , hangs up. So the phone rings once if the call is from a robot.

I have not tried it because Pioneer Telephone is not on their list of comp anies that support simultaneous ring. I called Pioneer and they said they do support simultaneous ring. So sent an email to Nomorobo and hope to be using it soon. Oh yes, it is free.

For more info just goggle on " nomorobo ".

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

ous ring to answer the phone , then asks a question which the robot does no t understand , and if no answer from the robot , hangs up. So the phone rin gs once if the call is from a robot.

mpanies that support simultaneous ring. I called Pioneer and they said the y do support simultaneous ring. So sent an email to Nomorobo and hope to b e using it soon. Oh yes, it is free.

The "do not call" registry use to work in the past, but less so now. Any idea what happened?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Allowing calls to go to answerphone with a suitably long preamble works for me. As the robots get more verbose I may have to rerecord since my device memory today gradually fills up with "or press 9 to opt out".

I also have a blocking device that silently answers calls and screens them against a blacklist of known bad and blocked callers CLIDs. Most telcos offer a chargeable option of this sort but it can be a double edged sword in the wrong hands.

Surely you want no ring at your premises if there is a robot on the other end of the line. I find answering suspect calls with dead air fairly amusing when I happen to pick up out of habit.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I use Phonetray from time to time. But, recently I've been getting robo calls on my cell number, which I have never had before.

Martin Riddle

I used to get a number of those, and as a result I created a "Spam" user list on the iPhone. Each time I got one of those calls I ported it to the Spam 'account' and set that account to not acknowledge the calls at all (silent ring, no display, etc.). I get very few calls getting through after practicing this for over a year...

John

Reply to
John Robertson

I use Ooma as my first line of defense.

For the cellphone encroachers I add them to my contacts list, but assign "No Ring". Very few wait 8 rings and spill into voice mail. ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

None would be good, but one ring is how it works.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

On Tuesday, October 17, 2017 at 10:17:38 AM UTC-4, George Herold wrote: .

The scammers set up off shore telephone accounts or spoofed that they had. So they ignore the Do Not Call list.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Good idea, theres probably a dozen number they use or spoof. And I dont think I can block them in my Tmobile account.

Martin Riddle

Robo callers call "random" numbers. The DNC list never covered them. I get at least four a day from the same company (selling "renewals" for extended warranties). The number is always random and from my area code (though geographically I'm >1000 miles from there).

Reply to
krw

I block the number (I think it's available on all Android phones) but the last four digits are random (the first six are the same as mine), so blocking isn't a great solution.

Reply to
krw

Don't know about T-mobile, but Verizon charges excessively for more than six blocks. ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

I don't publicize my cell number. It receives calls that roll-over from my "land" lines (Ooma). Ooma not only blocks whole numbers, but "starts-with"... likewise _names_, "contains".... VERY effective.

On my cell, since they're now random calling, I have about _40_ numbers "blocked" using the no-ring gimmick ;-)

Plus, as I'm sure you've imagined, I have no trouble being a rude asshole when such dorks call... I have a lot of fun... upsets my wife sometimes >:-} ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

taneous ring to answer the phone , then asks a question which the robot doe s not understand , and if no answer from the robot , hangs up. So the phone rings once if the call is from a robot.

f companies that support simultaneous ring. I called Pioneer and they said they do support simultaneous ring. So sent an email to Nomorobo and hope to be using it soon. Oh yes, it is free.

Spam everywhere sucks. Here's my solution. We're all charged $0.01 for each sent email and phone call and text and.. whatever.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

They're used to abuse. The only thing that gets through to them is to let them know they're a parasite and ask if they're really not able to get a proper job. Yes, I got fed up with no end of repeat calls from one in particular.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The best revenge is to keep them on the line as long as possible. That eats into the number of calls they can make in a given work day. Hit them in the bottom line.

Reply to
tom

My wife worries that I will have no fun in life if I get nomorobo.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I've never actually talked to a human. Even if I answer, they drop the call after the machine message. If I don't answer, it's dropped right away. Really odd. I'm about ready to see if I can get a human on the hook and how long I can play them.

Reply to
krw

That's one of your ideas that I could get behind. It wouldn't even take $.01 for emails.

Spoofed phone numbers and email addresses shouldn't be allowed, either. If you call, you should be able to be called.

Reply to
krw

ous ring to answer the phone , then asks a question which the robot does no t understand , and if no answer from the robot , hangs up. So the phone rin gs once if the call is from a robot.

mpanies that support simultaneous ring. I called Pioneer and they said the y do support simultaneous ring. So sent an email to Nomorobo and hope to b e using it soon. Oh yes, it is free.

I have nomorobo. It flashes "Incoming Call" and then you wait for either th e second ring, meaning it's a real caller, or no ring , meaning it's a robo t call. Some spam calls do get through somehow, they're definitely robots a nd not real people, so nomorobo is being defeated, my preliminary guess is it is as much as 10% of robots make it through.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred