OT black hole pic.

The picture was made by analysing radiation bent but not absorbed by the black hole. There are elliptic orbits with an exit asymptote 180 degrees from their entrance - i.e. one that returns to Earth some radiation that originated here.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Or maybe it wasn't - but the orbits still exist.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Probably not. At 110 million light years, the r**4 falloff would be a factor of roughly 350 dB on an areal basis.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

You have to put the data someplace, so why make it more complicated?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It's a 'flame palette'. I use them for rendering things like energy density and power dissipation in my EM simulator--they're pretty widely used.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It's a pretty cool achievement, though. I remember seeing Gerd Binnig's first pictures of atoms taken with his STM thirty-odd years ago.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yup. Synthetic aperture radar works in a similar way.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Its angular subtense is very very small. With that dataset, they could have made images at that resolution millions of times that size if there had been anything interesting enough and bright enough to look at.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

A friend of mine was in the group, check out the 3rd last page (46) in this presentation to see how light originates and bends. Also describes the sites and data flows - there's not reasonable cost fiber everywhere, so HDDs are used:

Mikko OH2HVJ

The veritasium video does a nice 'high school level' explanation of where the light comes from.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

It was impressive, but over-hyped, and as noted the image was heavily processed and false colorized. Is the raw image data available anywhere?

Instead of spending mucho billions for "boots on the moon", we could launch an array of radio telescopes into space and get some serious resolution.

Would the Brown/Boffin type RF long-baseline interferometer work at optical wavelengths? It would have to move a lot of data if it did.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Er, yes. Well, at least live dinosaurs would be worth looking at, unlike this photo, which is basically just exactly as I imagined it would be. It doesn't tell us anything we don't already know.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I expected as much. Every now and again there's a lunar eclipse which is a bit closer than normal and it's really no big deal at all. But you should hear the way it's hyped up by the MSM. I think the last one we had they really excelled themselves: "super wolf blood moon" FFS! I didn't even bother going outside to see it. I don't reckon I missed anything.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Now *THAT* was worth waiting for!

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

If you just need to make VLBI images of a single stellar object, transfer the raw signals from all antennas over the e-VLBI network to the central correlator, which produces the image in (near)real-time. The correlator output data size is much smaller than the combined antenna raw data.

The advantage of storing all raw data (at individual antennas or at the correlator inputs) is that later on, you can produce non-real-time VLBI images of other stellar objects, as long as they are within the beam width of individual antennas. .

Reply to
upsidedown

Field ion microscopes showed dots for individual atoms too.

This is a tomographic atom probe, which I helped to launch.

 Click to see the full signature

It doesn't tell us anything we didn't _predict_. Not the same animal.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It can't be done in real time because you have to wait for the Earth to move to fill in all the spatial frequencies.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The Hanbury Brown/Twiss technique probably doesn't have the SNR to do something like that, and anyway it gives you the autocorrelation of the scene, not the scene itself.

The Michelson stellar interferometer idea could be used, with sufficiently accurate position information. You can't go too far with the sparse-aperture trick because you lose a lot of SNR.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Cursitor Doom wrote in news:q8qg78$i3p$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Not true at all.

We theorized it up until now. There is a difference.

Even the more recent (in the last decade) observations of stars at the center of our galaxy pretty much proving the theory, it was still not a certainty.

So, NOW, we KNOW it. Before, we did not, and there were many folks conjuring up alternates, whom we can now mute.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno