OT Black Hole Photonic Analogue model (Ping Phil H)

Anyone in the non-linear optics community care to comment on this recent report in the physics press that an optical analogue of black hole Hawking radiation has been observed experimentally in the lab.

It is hard to tell if the authors interpretation of their experiment is accurate or somewhat wishful thinking on their part. It seems open to interpretation since the system is very wavelength dependent.

It would be impressive if they can demonstrate it unambiguously.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Funny that it's Bill Unruh they're quoting. He has a competing theory about black hole radiation. (He taught both me and my son Simon at UBC. Great guy.)

I'd tend to believe the BEC results more than anything in a fibre. Fibres are badly behaved on so many levels.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

+1

There is a bit more detail about making the BEC lase here:

It is decidedly strange physics. The Nature article is behind a paywall but it is on Arxiv:

Regards,
Martin Brown
Reply to
Martin Brown