OT: Bitcoin insanity

The nerd equivalent of posting a picture of a big pile of cocaine, handguns, and bling/stacks of cash.

Each GPU in those boxes is worth around $1,000 at current GPU prices.

Damn it nerds, some of us need a couple of those for real work.

Reply to
bitrex

Den tirsdag den 13. februar 2018 kl. 00.57.11 UTC+1 skrev bitrex:

here several of the big stores have put a limit of maximum two per customer they had foreign miners ask to buy +1000 but that would just mean 1000 disappointed costumers

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

What vid card do you have in your real work box?

Is it a $1000 version?

Does the $1000 vid card do 3D CAD better than the $350 version? Or are you crying about rendering times?

Noticably better, or just nit picks once a certain plateau was reached.

I have yet to set up a dual or quad video card machine. My CAD work, including render times has not ever been anything I would call too slow. One card has always been enough and that a couple years ago's hot card is fine. I do not need to stay on that 'cutting edge' because the only edge it cuts is the edge of my wallet.

Reply to
Long Hair

I doubt the couple with the pic will ever make their money back, even with ~40 GTX 1080 Ti's.

Reply to
bitrex

Nah, I don't need one of those cards, specifically. But even the prices of many mid-range/budget cards has been pushed up, some nearly three times.

e.g. the Radeon RX 580 had an MSRP of around $229 as of early fall last year, it's selling for $699 on Newegg as of this evening:

Reply to
bitrex

yeh, it doesn't make much sense anymore unless you can steal the electricity or need a noisy space heater

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Unless they bought them with the proceeds from the sale of several of their already collected 'harvest'.

I think that quads of ZWDs might be a better venture.

It is pretty lame and my great wish is that folks delving in it lose everything they venture, just not to some illicit faction somewhere.

Reply to
Long Hair

snip

snip

Long Hair

The insanity goes a lot further than cornering the market on GPUs.

Reply to
krw