OT: Bill Gates now 3rd richest in the world.

"Bill Gates is probably chuffed: he never liked being the world's richest man, and now he's down to third place behind his friend Warren Buffett and Mexican telecom tycoon Carlos Slim Hel=FA, according to Forbes magazine's latest list of billionaires.

Forbes says Gates "would have been perhaps as rich -- or richer -- than Buffett had Microsoft not made an unsolicited bid for Yahoo! at the beginning of February. Microsoft shares fell 15% between Jan. 31, the day before the company announced its bid for the search engine giant, and Feb. 11, the day we locked in stock prices for the 2008 World's Billionaires list."

It's a win-win for Gates because Buffett is giving away most of his money via the Gates Foundation.

The Top 25 shows only four American billionaires and seven Russians. Oracle's Larry Ellison is 14th ($25.0bn) just ahead of Roman Abramovich ($23.5bn). "

Bill Bowden

I wonder if billionaires fund medical research to stop the aging process so they might be rich forever.

There are 11 biological theories listed for aging.

D from BC British Columbia Canada.

Reply to
D from BC

Probably not. We haven't yet even got a persuasive theory of ageing, and even when we do get something persuasive enough to serve as a basis for an anti-ageing therapy, we can be pretty confident that it will still take a long time to evolve to the point where it starts to have a significant effect on the life-span of the people treated.

Billionaires do have access to good advice, and that advice will be that nothing they can fund is likely to pay off in their lifetimes.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman