OT: Audacity noise removal question

difference)

I finally ran into a computer problem that has no easy fix. I need to install Server 2000 on a server with no CD or DVD drive, and no port for one. It has PXE, but 'Microslosh & Deli' have dropped all the information. It is a one RU server with four, 40 GB drives I have a legal copy of Backoffice server 2000, but you can't install the Remote Install Server on one computer, and use the same license to actually install the software. Who knew? That breaks my 30 year track record on computer repairs. The server is a spotless Dell 725N rack mount server, with a COA for server 2000. The other server is a Dell 2650. It has a CD & a floppy drive, but it is going somewhere else with Ubuntu & Apache server installed. :(

Michael A. Terrell

On a sunny day (Fri, 23 Mar 2012 15:21:44 -0700) it happened miso wrote in :

Very long time ago I tried installing open suse, or was it updating, and it deleted all my binaries without warning. Never been back. Yes that root password thing I have noticed too in Ubuntu. As I am always root I do not care too much. Now I am root in Slackware.

Fear Of Being Root (FOBR) seems to be quiet common :-)

Not being root is like driving your car from the right hand front seat (for right handed traffic) and having to hop over to the other seat every time time you want to brake of accelerate... It may SEEM safer, but it is not.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Audacity *is* open-source.

The one I use, I compiled myself. Never any issues in use.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

My Audacity (1.24, Linux, compiled from source) doesn't have an "Import". Only "Export".

"Open" an .mp3 file, it shows "Importing mp3 file".

All editing options just work.

What version Audacity you?

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

On a sunny day (Sat, 24 Mar 2012 09:48:40 -0700) it happened Fred Abse wrote in :

I know :-) But the xine equalizer code was only a few lines. As I could not get audacity working I did not even know what it can and cannot do. So why bother digging in a zillion lines of code looking for something that is perhaps not even there.

Yes other people seem to have no problems either.

One other program I use is siggen-2.3.10, a command line tool, it has some useful utilities to make sounds, like tones, noise, frequency sweeps, etc. And it compiles in about a split second.

I even call it with popen() from the xdipo program I wrote, to generate audio signals for satellite dish alignment.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

It is "Unicode 2.0.0", has Import and then sub-menus Audio, Labels, MIDI and Raw Data.

Haven't gotten around to it yet but the last thing I still have to find out is how to make a CD from the now finished editing. One that will play on regular CD players. Thing is, ours isn't a good test device because it'll play just about any format.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Much of the time I'm logged in as a normal user in one virtual terminal, for doing normal things, and as root in another, for when I need it.

I just switch with ctrl-alt-Fwhatever. I think you said that's broken on your system.

The root password/sudo thing is what has always put me off Ubuntu. Being able to get root privileges has saved the day for me on a number of occasions.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

First thing you'll need to do is ditch the MP3 format, and convert to (uncompressed) WAV at 44100BPS sampling, as a first step. CD audio is raw PCM without compression. Any CD writing software should be able to write audio CDs from WAV files. They must be 44100 sampling. Audacity can re-sample at just about any rate.

I use XCDRoast, which is actually a graphical front end to the Linux command line utilities, mkisofs, cdrecord, etc. etc. I suppose you'll have some Windows thing, such as Nero.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Ok, thanks, Fred. I had found that I need WAV at 44.1k but didn't know the stuff around it that a CD player needs. Indxing and all that. But good point, to just use an audio CD creator.

My PC came with "Roxio Creator DE" that I use to make data backup DVDs and such. Never done audio stuff but it has a tab "Create an audio CD from files on your hard drive". I guess that should do the trick then.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Sat, 24 Mar 2012 12:34:05 -0700) it happened Fred Abse wrote in :

Nobody mentions 'sox' a lot, but I have used it extensively to do audio processing, including resampling. As it is all command line, it can be scripted easily too.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

It looks like one of those softwares where you have to use the soldering iron and pliers instead of a GUI interface to get from one mode to another :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I've used it. Good for regular batch stuff.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Does the DE stand for "Deutschland"? Most CD recording stuff seems to have been written by, or pinched from, Joerg Schilling, in Berlin. His open source stuff appears to be the de facto standard.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

I guess Jan likes writing shell scripts a lot more than I do...

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

On a sunny day (Sat, 24 Mar 2012 12:55:45 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

The advantage of Unix is that you can pipe from one program to another. That is why all those little utilities are so useful, you can make a script that chains it all together.

The problem with windows and the way its GUI stuff is, is that they always want to include everything in one application. It then becomes difficult to use, as you may have noticed, with all sorts of menus...

This is so much faster than even starting a GUI program: sox original.wav -r 44100 resampled.wav resample

It resamples file original.wav to CD format resampled.wav

I have scripts to make CDs, and DVDs.

One is dir-to-dvd directory It will make an ISO9660 data DVD from all files in 'directory'.

Some scripts get very very complicated... Make an 8 channel audio DVD from some satellite transport stream for example.

Now if you have to do it twice or more, perhaps with small changes, or again a year later, the scripting method outperforms your GUI method, and has zero errors.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

No idea. Since I live in the US this is an American PC, came with the usual SW that accompanies sound chips and such.

A surprising amount of SW comes from Germany. Like when I became fed up with Orcad and needed a new CAD. Bought Eagle and (other than the missing hierarchy) it is nearly perfect.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Sat, 24 Mar 2012 13:34:19 -0700) it happened Fred Abse wrote in :

It is a must for production stuff. GUI is for kids,

:-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Ok, but it sure is not easy to do unless you do it regularly.

That's what I did in the DOS days and I must confess that for programs I seldomly used I like a GUI much better. Because I don't have to rummage in my file cabinet for the cheat sheet with the correct command set after receiving a syntax error for the umpteenth time.

I don't, because this is most likely the only audio CD I'll make in a looong time. It is definitely my first one.

For once a year? No way. Finding the script will already take longer than a few mouse clicks in a GUI. Now how did I call that? With Roxio everything is just a few clicks. Problem is, I have to find blank CDs and can only come up with blank DVDs right now. I know I have some CDs left, but where?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Sat, 24 Mar 2012 14:03:05 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Not really, I keep the scripts in a fixed place, and you can just type ls *cd* if your naming makes sense:

So, after you burn your CD or DVD how are you going to verify the burn, and at what speed are you going to burn it and why?

Do you support long filenames?

For the beginner like you it COULD make sense to start with a CD-RW :-) Or buy a pack of hundred...

Oh, and what make are you going to buy and why?

:-)

Do you even have a CD burner? :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

After not doing any other audio CDs for a few years I may not remember that. It has to be written down somewhere :-)

For verifying I go downstairs where we have a really old CD player from the early 90s that is quite fussy if it isn't exactly right.

For speed, this PC doesn't give me the option for DVDs but other SW does (maybe it does for CDs, haven't tried yet), and I usually select 2x or 4x.

The OS does but I prefer not to use them.

I've done tons of data CD and every one worked fine. Recently I moved to DVD because of data volume.

Why should I buy anything? Maybe a stash of blank CDs if I can't find enough of them here. Most likely the Verbatim brand.

Three.