OT: Audacity noise removal question

Actually, it's you that is the idiot yet again. Ever hear of other programs over-writing DLLs?

You Big AlwaysWrong Dummy.

Reply to
JW

I'm not familiar with the program, but how about converting to .wav then do your editing, then convert back to .mp3? There will be some loss, but it shouldn't be too bad...

Reply to
JW

Try pressing the stop button?

The effects menu content seems to be disabled during playback, even if paused. I guess you've figured that out by now.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

I'm not seeing that here, for me open and import both allow editing. (Version is "1.3.12-beta!" ) I have lame installed (which may make a difference)

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

He has no problem opening them, idiot. Learn to read. He cannot perform certain edits on it after opening it, you illiterate puke!

Reply to
WoolyBully

This sounds like you just opened the file on CD. You would have to copy the file to your comp, then edit the local file (the copy), no?

Reply to
Wond

Odd, I used Open to open an MP3 file and was able to use the noise removal tool as well as all the editing effects. Perhaps, as someone suggested earlier, it's an issue with LAME which needs to be installed in a canned directory (go figure!). The Audacity site has a link to the LAME installer which places LAME in the "Lame for Audacity" directory.

Reply to
qrk

Before it was Audacity, it was called "Cool Edit Pro" - unless I'm mistaken. (?) Back in the CEP days, it was free software and had all the options enabled. Will probably do what you want. It's very powerful stuff. Would you like me to send (FTP?) you a copy...?

I would have to confirm it will read/write an MP3. I think it will, but if not, it's only a minor hassle to convert to WAV, do the fine-tuning, then encode back to MP3.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Well, I got it to work and the hum is now gone. Had to notch out all the way up to the 9th harmonic.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yeah, maybe some dreaded SW patent issue. But then why does it work with "Import"?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I've got it massaged so it all sounds nice now. With fading, local volume adjusts and all. Now it has to go onto a CD that will play in normal CD players.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I opened it from my hard disk. When I import it from my hard disk it all works, when I open it then it doesn't.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Did that, didn't help :-)

Yup. Must import instead of open, then it all works.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Thanks for the offer but I've figure out how to make it work by now (must use file import instead). I have completed all the audio massaging, now it has to go on CDs. And I am out of CDs, only have DVDs, so will have to go to a store ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

difference)

Clearly Joerg hasn't done the installation correctly. Open works just fine if you install the software properly. You should have both lame and FFMPEG.

Reply to
miso

You should be able to get audacity from a repo.

Reply to
miso

On a sunny day (Fri, 23 Mar 2012 01:34:35 -0700) it happened miso wrote in :

.some time on that

Just a few weeks ago there was an announcement for a new release. I tried to download it, but the download failed... It is possible I have an older version one some Debian DVD somewhere, not sure if it is on there, In the Suse 7.6 days I could not get it working.

There are several other audio editors, I use 'sweep' and I use xmpegedit to cut or concatenate pieces of audio. The rest I wrote myself, look up 'multimux' etc:

Audio is quite simple, even multichannel wave processing, so it is more fun just to write your own stuff.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

difference)

Joerg's computers are perfect, everyone else is wrong. Just ask him. :)

Michael A. Terrell

Hey even Pulse Audio works these days on opensuse.

I never ran Debian much. I installed it once, had trouble with RAID, and never went back. Every time I build a new PC, I run through the major distros to get a sense of what is happening, but then just install opensuse. Opensuse works right out of the box, so to speak. It used to be Torvald's distro of choice until his meltdown a few weeks ago, equating opensuse to the Taliban.

Reply to
miso

difference)

;-) Joerg seems to have more problems than any amateur I've ever met ;-) ...Jim Thompson