OT: Audacity noise removal question

Question to audio folks:

I am trying to transfer a memorial service to CD, for folks far away who
could not attend. Have the MP3 file, wanted to equalize the audio and
remove hum. All the effects options including "noise removal"  are
grayed out. Looking on the web I found only hints that this can happen
if you have multiple installs and the config file is being screwed up
but I don't have that.

What gives?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: OT: Audacity noise removal question

Your usual FREE software ?:-)

                                        ...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO                            |    mens     |
| Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |

For the authoritative answer, grep(1) the sources to see what
enables/disables that particular option?  (at least it's an
approach that *you* can control instead of hoping for the
"right"/appropriate answer from a third party)

[Sorry, I don't use FOSS audio tools so don't have the source
on hand  :< ]

Re: OT: Audacity noise removal question

I am not enough of a SW guru to easily figure that out, let alone
correct a bug. Plus I thought it's something easy, like "Oh, just turn
on the XYZ obfuscator". All I want is to do a widow a favor.
Unfortunately what happened is that someone mucked with the big mixer
and you can't find that out until someone starts to speak at the pulpit.
Took me 2-3 minutes, so I want to equalize that part and get the hum out
which is rather annoying for that speech.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: OT: Audacity noise removal question
Hi Joerg,

----------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^?

This suggests you're missing some aspect of the uesr interface
design philosophy.  E.g., have you selected the portion of the
waveform to which you want to *apply* the effect?

Usually doesn't require more than "a deductive mind" to look
at the "things" mentioned/suggested in the code for possible
"inspiration"  :>

No good deed goes unpunished!  :>

Re: OT: Audacity noise removal question

who
Audacity effects  processing is "off line"

you select a section of the file and select an effect and tell it toprocess,
then you can hear the result when it is done.

There is a preview function but this offline processig is clunky.

Try "ntrack studio"

its not free but it is inexpensive.

Mark

Re: OT: Audacity noise removal question
Hi Mark,

Whether it the results are available "interactively" or not isn;t
the question.  Does the UI *allow* you to invoke effects without
previously selecting a track or portion of a track on which
the effect will be applied?

------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If the previous selection process is a prerequisite for making
the effect choice possible, then I would expect effects to be
disabled (gr[ae]yed out in the menu/toolbar/wherever) *until*
that selection is made.

(otherwise, the user clicks on an effect and you have to prompt
him to select an appropriate portion of the audio)

Dunno, I have no experience with Audacity.  My comments are
just reflections of other similar tools (audio/video) that
I've used ("Why can't I click on this menu entree?  What
is it waiting for me to do in order to *allow* me to make
that choice??")

This was common of older processing tools -- that didn't
want to "look bad" if running on hardware that wasn't
fast enough to render the changes in real time (or, that
had to make multiple passes over the "original")

It's also more in line with the UN*X philosophy of plumbing
together smaller modules to achieve a greater functionality.

Re: OT: Audacity noise removal question

Yes, I did that.

Like a guy back at our university. "There is some slight pinging that
sounds like a piston rod bearing. Let's take the engine apart and have a
look".

Nah, it ain't that bad :-)

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: OT: Audacity noise removal question
On a sunny day (Wed, 21 Mar 2012 14:55:34 -0700) it happened Joerg

There is a very good hum filter on my site:
 http://panteltje.com/panteltje/xpequ/humfilter-0.1.tgz

You will have to convert to wave first, run it through this,
and then back to mp3 or whatever.

Audio quality will suffer, as it also filters all the hum harmonics.

If the hum has no harmonics (but it usually does), then build a small
T notch filter, or use some equalizer C code, or use xpequ's equalizer:
 http://panteltje.com/panteltje/xpequ/index.html

I never managed to get audacity working, after spending some time on that
I figured it was faster to write my own code, or modify some open source code.
xpequ uses the xine equalizer code IIRC.

Re: OT: Audacity noise removal question

Well, I got it to work and the hum is now gone. Had to notch out all the
way up to the 9th harmonic.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: OT: Audacity noise removal question

You should be able to get audacity from a repo.

Re: OT: Audacity noise removal question
On a sunny day (Fri, 23 Mar 2012 01:34:35 -0700) it happened miso

.some time on that

Just a few weeks ago there was an announcement for a new release.
I tried to download it, but the download failed...
It is possible I have an older version one some Debian DVD somewhere,
not sure if it is on there, In the Suse 7.6 days I could not get it working.

There are several other audio editors, I use 'sweep' and I use xmpegedit
to cut or concatenate pieces of audio.
The rest I wrote myself, look up 'multimux' etc:
 http://panteltje.com/panteltje/dvd/index.html

Audio is quite simple, even multichannel wave processing,
so it is more fun just to write your own stuff.

Re: OT: Audacity noise removal question

Hey even Pulse Audio works these days on opensuse.

I never ran Debian much. I installed it once, had trouble with RAID, and
never went back. Every time I build a new PC, I run through the major
distros to get a sense of what is happening, but then just install
opensuse. Opensuse works right out of the box, so to speak. It used to
be Torvald's distro of choice until his meltdown a few weeks ago,
equating opensuse to the Taliban.

Re: OT: Audacity noise removal question
On a sunny day (Fri, 23 Mar 2012 15:21:44 -0700) it happened miso

Very long time ago I tried installing open suse, or was it updating,
and it deleted all my binaries without warning.
Never been back.
Yes that root password thing I have noticed too in Ubuntu.
As I am always root I do not care too much.
Now I am root in Slackware.

Fear Of Being Root (FOBR) seems to be quiet common :-)

Not being root is like driving your car from the right hand front seat
(for right handed traffic) and having to hop over to the other seat every time
time you want to brake of accelerate...
It may SEEM safer, but it is not.

Re: OT: Audacity noise removal question

Much of the time I'm logged in as a normal user in one virtual terminal,
for doing normal things, and as root in another, for when I need it.

I just switch with ctrl-alt-Fwhatever. I think you said that's broken on
your system.

The root password/sudo thing is what has always put me off Ubuntu. Being
able to get root privileges has saved the day for me on a number of
occasions.

Re: OT: Audacity noise removal question
On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 12:14:41 -0700, Fred Abse

And i really love being able to get into the machine from another via =
ssh.
It can be really handy when a desktop jams up.

?-)

Re: OT: Audacity noise removal question
For security reasons, you don't want to be logged in as root all the time.

Opensuse is well known for working well next to windows, so I use it in
dual boot as well as the primary OS. I need to think if it ever wiped
out my binaries. I don't believe updates touch user/local/bin. If you
put a binary where the OS puts them, then I suspect all bets are off.
But that is a problem in many OSs, including windows. If the windows
program doesn't have an installer, I put the binary in a bin directory
which I have added to the path.

The real problem with opensuse is the library locations. I often find
myself having to set parameters so that libraries can be found, or
creating symbolic links to make them appear in the right place.

I've also found opensuse a bit buggy with gnome. It works fine with KDE.

Re: OT: Audacity noise removal question
On a sunny day (Sat, 24 Mar 2012 18:24:54 -0700) it happened miso

I have heard that song many times, and, at least to me, it makes no sense.

There are different cases, for many years, > 4, I had several servers
online 24/7, http, ftp, mail, named, etc.
Of course Apache runs as some user.
But there is no reason why "*I*, or say the system administrator
should not be logged in as root.
What are you going to do to me? Nothing, try it.

That is one aspect, then there is the 'protection from your own mistake' fable.
Put it this way, after running as user 'dummy' with zero permissions
to do anything usefull,, they get so used to typing
sudo this_or_that, that the word 'sudo' becomes their command prompt.
Ok, wait, sudo rm -rf /*
Oops why does that take so long?
Oh I meant  sudo rm ~/*, oops, I actually meant rm ~/*

And the third issue is, that they, if they never even use sudo, so
basically just use the peesee as a scratchpad, then the one time
they need to be root they are so unexperienced and spaced out that
they really cause big damage to the system, and then also do not know how to fix
it.

In an environment where others can have access to your root terminal
I agree, use ctrl D, log out if you leave the keyboard.
But a bad guy will have no problem pulling the powerplug...

They should not, but mine did.

Dunno what you mean by that, OS does not put binaries anywhere,

Until this day it seems there is no agreement if things
should go in /usr/local/.... or /usr/...

Sometimes one is in the path first, then the other.
Cost me a lot of time to make links and delete old versions, on top
of that the version system of different distros then often interfere.
I prefer /usr/local/.., but watch out, some 'make install' may dump it
in /usr/.. or even in /opt or worse in /usr/share I have seen it all.

I have installed (compiled from source the old fvwm (not version 2) and xfm
file manager,
I have 9 virtual screens, one with xfm and some icons, all others carry rxvt.
Programs I use often are under key sequencies (xmodmap, xbindkeys),
and all the rest I just type.
I have a thousand scripts too, those do the heavy works.
That means you only have to find a solution once, not like that GUI
stuff every time again.
Still Linux has become top-heavy, and money making oriented
enterprises like RatHead, Suse in bed with Microshot, just love to add their
incompatible stuff as 'customer binding' and then have you pay for support
because it wont work.
Maybe QNX?
Maybe open BSD?
I really want to try that sometimes, but already disk is full again...

Re: OT: Audacity noise removal question
The idea is if the program crashes, the hacker is left in an account
that doesn't have root permission. Beyond that, there probably isn't
much benefit to not running as root.

Opensuse doesn't exactly have SElinux running by default. They use
appguard. I don't know the fine details on this, but my understanding is
appguard is not as good as full blown SElinux, but considered a
compromise. SELinux is so annoying that nobody uses it.

Re: OT: Audacity noise removal question
On a sunny day (Sun, 25 Mar 2012 18:14:47 -0700) it happened miso

Right.
When online there were plenty of attempts at logging in at the ssh port
by trying all sorts of passwords.
Best is just to run ssh on a different port, takes care of the crowd.
Disable telnet perhaps.
Allow no uploads in the ftp server either.
And be very careful with apache config, and php config.
And then there is the databases...

When browsing watch out for cross-site scripting.
etc
etc

Site Timeline