OT: Audacity noise removal question

Question to audio folks:

I am trying to transfer a memorial service to CD, for folks far away who could not attend. Have the MP3 file, wanted to equalize the audio and remove hum. All the effects options including "noise removal" are grayed out. Looking on the web I found only hints that this can happen if you have multiple installs and the config file is being screwed up but I don't have that.

What gives?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Your usual FREE software ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

For the authoritative answer, grep(1) the sources to see what enables/disables that particular option? (at least it's an approach that *you* can control instead of hoping for the "right"/appropriate answer from a third party)

[Sorry, I don't use FOSS audio tools so don't have the source on hand :< ]
Reply to
Don Y

I am not enough of a SW guru to easily figure that out, let alone correct a bug. Plus I thought it's something easy, like "Oh, just turn on the XYZ obfuscator". All I want is to do a widow a favor. Unfortunately what happened is that someone mucked with the big mixer and you can't find that out until someone starts to speak at the pulpit. Took me 2-3 minutes, so I want to equalize that part and get the hum out which is rather annoying for that speech.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Try playing with plugins -- there's probably something that didn't come with it.

I haven't used Audacity in a while so I forget if plugins are listed on a dialog or the website or what, and where to install them, etc... I do remember not being able to export MP3, then downloading the codec DLL and having it available pretty easily.

Tim

Tim Williams

----------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^?

This suggests you're missing some aspect of the uesr interface design philosophy. E.g., have you selected the portion of the waveform to which you want to *apply* the effect?

Usually doesn't require more than "a deductive mind" to look at the "things" mentioned/suggested in the code for possible "inspiration" :>

No good deed goes unpunished! :>

Reply to
Don Y

who

Audacity effects processing is "off line"

you select a section of the file and select an effect and tell it toprocess, then you can hear the result when it is done.

There is a preview function but this offline processig is clunky.

Try "ntrack studio"

its not free but it is inexpensive.

Mark

Reply to
MarkK

I'd remove and reinstall. I use the program, but I have not had the problem you are having. Or install on a different computer.

Then again, it could be that you need to convert to a different format before the effects are available - WAV or AIFF (you can go back to MP3 at the end.) I don't do squat with MP3s, so that's just a guess. Well, probably not - I finally found an MP3 lurking here and all options including noise removal are still happy with it.

Ecnerwal

Whether it the results are available "interactively" or not isn;t the question. Does the UI *allow* you to invoke effects without previously selecting a track or portion of a track on which the effect will be applied?

------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If the previous selection process is a prerequisite for making the effect choice possible, then I would expect effects to be disabled (gr[ae]yed out in the menu/toolbar/wherever) *until* that selection is made.

(otherwise, the user clicks on an effect and you have to prompt him to select an appropriate portion of the audio)

Dunno, I have no experience with Audacity. My comments are just reflections of other similar tools (audio/video) that I've used ("Why can't I click on this menu entree? What is it waiting for me to do in order to *allow* me to make that choice??")

This was common of older processing tools -- that didn't want to "look bad" if running on hardware that wasn't fast enough to render the changes in real time (or, that had to make multiple passes over the "original")

It's also more in line with the UN*X philosophy of plumbing together smaller modules to achieve a greater functionality.

Reply to
Don Y

Yes, I did that.

Like a guy back at our university. "There is some slight pinging that sounds like a piston rod bearing. Let's take the engine apart and have a look".

Nah, it ain't that bad :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Well, gents, found it: One cannot just open a MP3 file because then nothing other than play and stop and stuff works. One has to import the file instead.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Try a freeware editor, and re-create the pre-edited MP3 file with that (once you complete the job of course), then return to being less than audacious, and create the CD with the under whelming (again) Creative product.

I think (know) Creative has an updater thingy that finds all your Creative HW and then hunts up drivers and updates for you.

Also, if you have the file in a more raw form, it may be more "editable" than an already (poorly) compressed MP3 datagram. Not saying you did something poor, but that MP3 file format itself ain't that great.

Doesn't matter every other Joe embraced it.

Real pro editors do not. Maybe it is grayed because of the type of mp3?

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

A Windows 95 mentality idiot.

Reply to
WoolyBully

Unfortuantely MP3 is all I've got.

Meantime I found out what it was: Loading a file with "Open" makes it totally non-editable in Audacity. It has to be loaded with "Import", then it all works.

Well, sorta. The noise "learning and elmination" feature produced a horrible sound, like shortwave with lots of fading. Now I am trying the notch filter to at least get the 60Hz stuff out, up to the 9th harmonic or so. The issue is that part of the service was recorded at a very low volume because someone had messed with the mixer. Unfortunately one can't find out about that before the first persons starts with a eulogy. At least not at a memorial service where relatives come very early.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Could maybe be worth while to restore the file from the MP3 back to CD quality and then apply the effect ??

Rheilly P

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

The only time the effects are grayed out for me is when I don't have a file open. There is no problem editing mp3 files, though you will probably want to export wave to burn the CD. [It is best to avoid recompressing a compressed file.] When I open a MP3, it is converted to

32 bit float in the editor itself.

I would suggest just using a notch at 120Hz and roll off starting at

100hz. That noise filter is kind of flaky. You could try noise gating.

I am running beta 1.3 on win7. I have it on opensuse as well, but that PC isn't booted.

I see Thompson was being as useful as he is capable of being, which of course is totally useless.

Reply to
miso

I can open a MP3 just fine. I wonder if your lame and FFMPEG is set up ok. You can go to edit->preferences->libraries and take a look.

Reply to
miso

Most people set up audacity to work in 32 bit float. This way mathematical processing noise doesn't build up. It can't edit mp3 "natively." When you open a mp3, it goes "linear" for processing, then gets a fresh MP3 encoding if you save it as mp3. This is the dreaded cascade of compressor problem.

Reply to
miso

Can you ask the person to do you a big favour and read it again?

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

On a sunny day (Wed, 21 Mar 2012 14:55:34 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

There is a very good hum filter on my site:

You will have to convert to wave first, run it through this, and then back to mp3 or whatever.

Audio quality will suffer, as it also filters all the hum harmonics.

If the hum has no harmonics (but it usually does), then build a small T notch filter, or use some equalizer C code, or use xpequ's equalizer:

I never managed to get audacity working, after spending some time on that I figured it was faster to write my own code, or modify some open source code. xpequ uses the xine equalizer code IIRC.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje