OT: all animals need 37 seconds to pee

Years ago I read a study, which showed that all animals, whether large or small, need 37 seconds to pee (fully empty their bladder). When I take our dog out for his nightly emptying, and he only takes about 5 seconds, I know we have a problem. If I wait until 10:30, we get more, but tonight at 9pm, that's all we got. Sometimes I can meet the 37-second rule, but if not, what's that mean?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Two significant digits for timing of a bodily function, any bodily function, across all examples of all species at all times? Really? You believe that? Sorry, it doesn't pass the laugh test.

Reply to
krw

The dog isn't emptying it's bladder. It is using its urine to mark it's territory. He's going to mark more than one place - if you let him - so he doesn't use up the whole of his stock of urine in the first place he marks.

The message is probably more complicated than "I am male and pee here"

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Large animals have large orifices? Actually, a Google search shows my memory may be wrong, it's 21 seconds.

What, 21 seconds? Now I know I'm in trouble.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Still not buying two significant digits as an across-species number for anything biological. "Approximately 21 seconds" doesn't sound very scientific, either.

Reply to
krw

It's customary to add one digit past the standard deviation. Saying 21 is better, because it places the observed value closer to that, than 20 would, which could be 10 to 40, or even 5 to 80. This implies that the observations were tighter than you might imagine.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

its> urine to mark it's territory.

Yes, I know that, but he's not going to get to go out for another 10 to 12 hours. We don't want to hear anything about it, during the night.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

That makes no sense whatsoever.

Reply to
krw

back in 1850 something surveyors measured the height of Mount Everest to be exactly 29000 feet, to avoid people thinking it was just an estimate they a nnounced it was 29002 feet

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

------------------------------------ Winfield Hill

** So the trolling fool fails to understand "significant digits" and rounding.

The number 21 has two of 'em, while 20 has only one.

So, the uncertainty band inherent in "21 seconds" is between 20.5 and 21.5

The uncertainly band is saying "20 seconds" is between 15 and 25.

If my DMM displays 2.000 that is 4 digits with an error band of +/-1 digit.

But if displays 0.002 that is only 1 digit with the same error band.

..... Phil

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The dog's priorities are probably different from those of elderly human males.

It presumably wants to retain enough urine in its bladder to allow it to mark territory if you took it out again at 3.00am.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Take him for a walk, and note the (exponential?) curves of pee duration and time between successive pees. Make predictions.

Daughter's dog has a cast iron bladder. If it is raining and isn't out for a walk, won't voluntarily go outside until the early/mid afternoon.

Given the size of the dog and the amount it does pee on a regular walk, it simply must have Tardis-like interior.

Some people equate size of dog with energy, which is a mistake. Hers is a Dachsund / Jack Russell cross, with legs about 6" long.

After 45 mins walking, it is becoming bored with smells, and wants to be social with other dogs. It takes 2/3 hours for is to become tired.

When chasing a tennis ball across a football pitch it can hit 24mph, with a spine like a cheetah's. It didn't even notice the GPS receiver attached to its harness :)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Significant digits as a way to convey the measurement accuracy depends on the 10-base system.

If the result would be 21s +/-3s, it's not 2 digits, but one digit would not give credit to the tight distribution.

The correct way is to ditch significant digits and give accuracy separately, but usually digits is good enough.

--
mikko
Reply to

-------------------

** Though that might sound implausible, Google assures me it is not.

Jack Russell terriers are often raced and can reach 34mph.

Which is faster the even than Usain Bolt ( 28mph max)

If fact most healthy, young dogs are too - in short bursts.

And so are most cats.

Puts things in perspective - no ?

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

You ( or is it youse when there's two of you? ) need to cover more territory, regularly. When he pretends to mark something, without issue, he's done.

RL

Reply to
legg

A) The bladder is half full. B) The bladder is half empty. C) The bladder is twice as large as it needs to be.

or D) You just don't have anything better to think about. :)

Reply to
mpm

Now try reading the thread, Phyllis.

Reply to
krw

But that's the whole point. There is no way a biological measurement, any biological measurement, can be that tight across all species and all examples of even a single species.

Now, read the thread again. Two significant digits is just silly for this "measurement".

Reply to
krw

The whole thing seems piss weak to to me.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Is that because it only takes a preditory animal that long to find and eat you. Any longer and you would be dead. Also check out the you-tube video's by GTOger where he times potty breaks with his security cam's of his parking area.

Reply to
alan.yeager.2013