OT: AC efficiency, how important is the splasher?

I'm wondering how important is an air conditioner splasher? How much does it improve efficiency?

Seems to me like the splasher tends to damage the coil fins, either by causing rust or by flinging stuff into them.

Thanks.

--

Feel free to remove the other group.
Reply to

I can't tell you the difference in efficiency but I disabled it in mine after major cleaning. Drilled maybe a 3/8 inch hole underneath the slinger...

I'm sure in principal and with everything clean it helps. But with bugs, road dust, leaves, pollen... it doesn't stay clean very long...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids  MI/Zone 5b

AFAIK the splasher is just to disperse the condensate so that it doesn't drip from the unit. Depending on what is below the outside of the unit (e.g., flower bed vs. sidewalk), that might or might not be important.

--
Bob Nichols         AT comcast.net I am "RNichols42"
Reply to