OT "a leap of faith"

Subtitled: "Why Blind Faith Doesn't Make Sense"

I watched a simian bobble head, in an expensive suit on TV last night.

He wants me to believe that he and his cohorts have discovered a big flaw in the financial system and it requires $3,000 from every man woman and child in the US or about $15,000-35,000 for every middle class taxpayer in the US - TO START (may require more) Will require more when the inflation it causes is calculated in.

He wants me to believe that bailing out investment bankers on Wall Street is somehow beneficial to me. These guys make more in one year than I'll make in my lifetime, but unless I give them money, I will be poorer for it.

He wants me to believe that he knows better and has a solution for the problem he presided over. A man with less intelligence then some vegetables is telling me this. The same man that thought Donald Rumsfeld was a military genius.

He wants me to believe that an Investment Banker tapped for secretary of the treasury is going to remain unbiased and honest with more power than the president wields and do so for the next two years. This same secretary is going to bequeath taxpayer money to the banking firm he just left and do so without favoritism. Just like Cheeney and his buddies at Halliburton?

He wants me, and Congress, to believe that the need is imminent and that it needs to be done now. (starting to sound like a commodities broker or telemarketing boiler room there "buy now! buy now! you don't want to miss this opportunity").

- Congress just wants to get the hell out of Washington and hit the campaign trail so they will pass anything in front of them without a lot of scrutiny.

Mr. Paulson, we are told, is a man of incredible integrity. We are told this by men of dubious integrity and no credibility.

Mr. Paulson has already written the law to his liking, to wit:

Sec. 8. Review.

Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency.

-Stating in no uncertain terms that his word is absolute and no one can override him, and if he cheats or makes mistakes he can't be second guessed or tried in a court of law.

We are told that the money has to be given to Secretary Paulson's buddies so they can lend us more money and kick start the economy.

-Let me see, the problem is people have taken on more debt than they can handle and the solution is to lend them more money? Wouldn't it make more sense to just give the people that money somehow and practice "trickle up" economics?

And maybe I'm just heartless scum myself - but when they do one of these "human interest" stories on TV about people hurting from the bad choices they were allowed and encouraged to make - they shouldn't be showing single mothers with one child who moved into new 6,000 square foot houses on a secretary's salary. I just don't feel compassion for people living that far above their means. I don't want to "rescue" someone who lives better than I do.

They tell me that "I should borrow responsibly." I take that to mean that borrowing is a last resort - can't they follow the advice they give me?

All the "programs" designed to help people borrow, just make more money available and drive up the prices, for the very things they borrow for, and lock people into debt making the goods cost many times more than their outright cost - and that money goes into the pockets of the financial institutions we are supposed to rescue.

Someone 'plain how that makes sense, so I can understand it too?

And the final insult - they tell us "give us the money or else," and "we'll put into place regulations at a later date to fix the problem once and for all." These are the same guys that have been complaining about too much regulation and have gutted the regulations put in place during the Last Great Depression.

The money will go to the fat cats, the problem will still be there, administrations will come and go, regulations won't be forthcoming, and we'll be paying for it, and newer, more urgent, future crises, for millennia to come.

default

What do you expect when you put con artists, thugs, and morons in office? The only ones to blame are the voters and they deserve what happens. If your going to vote for someone based on party, looks, personality, etc then you deserve the consequences. You don't let a crack head run the pharmacy and if your too stupid to understand that then thats your problem. (unfortunately it makes it everyone's problem but I guess thats life. Rome didn't last forever but much longer than the US will)

My only hope is that when we all hit the ground that all the people who caused this mess will not walk away from it and those that do will learn their lesson. I doubt it though and I'm sure the same shit will repeat itself over and over throughout history in some form or fashion.

I think the problem you have is that your blaming the crook for being a crook and for stealing your shit. Thats the easy thing to do but didn't stop him from stealing your shit. It's all about responsiblity and we are just at the point where it's about all gone... been in decline since the end of WWII and if people were smart, which obviously they are not, they would have done something about it in the 60's and 70's.

But of course it's human nature to do nothing while everything seems ok and only try to solve the problem once there is no other choice(and almost always too late). I call it the ostrich syndrome.

Jon Slaughter

Your arguments are clear and understandable. Not that I am not supporting your point of view, however it would be interesting to hear the other opinions also.

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

You're right, of course. The problem is ingrained now and irreversible as long as corporations decide (indirectly) who we are allowed to vote for.

I was watching the Libertarian convention on CSPAN. Looked to me like everyone who spoke, conceding their own bid for the nomination, agreed that Mike Gravel would respect the libertarian point of view most accurately, but when push comes to shove, Bob Barr gets the nomination because he stands a better chance of winning (not like ANY libertarian has a chance realistically speaking).

So in effect they just told me that winning the election is more important than accurate representation.

People are idiots.

default

I vote for a depression. I like a depression... it resets everything to true value ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I know. During "The Great Depression" the bankers were leaping out of windows on Wall Street. Negative feedback. End of problem.

default

I share many of your concerns, especially oversight. We need it.

Another interesting and important item was brought up by a guest on CNBC about an hour ago, which the commentators quickly blew away acting like they wished it was never said. The guest said he reviewed the financials of the five largest financial companies, and found they have the cash and are prepared to issue their next regular dividend. The sum of the dividends would be about $400 Billion. His POV is that they should skip the dividends and use the cash to fix their own businesses. I agree for more reasons than I have time to spell out...... Except for one: The money the institutions have on hand is the result of crap business ethics and should be processed back to the people they stole it from.

Reply to
Don Bowey

I was hoping, but no such luck ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Tune into CNBC.

Reply to
Don Bowey

Whether you vote for depression or not, it never matters :-) It's like voting for let there be always Friday or let be no Fridays at all :-) Depression is here already. I've seen the breakdown of the USSR; now let's see how it happens in US. What the government does so far reminds me of an inexperienced driver on the icy road: the car slips right, the driver in panic turns the wheel all the way to the left, suddenly the car catches the track, but it only makes it fly left and so on, so forth...

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

If 1% of the population is living in houses they couldn't afford, and shouldn't have been allowed to buy, and we let them stay in them, and the average hit is $300K, and you toss in the loan overhead, then it about works out to $3000 to everybody else. It's a McMansion income redistribution program.

If we don't bite the bullet and do stuff, the entire economy could collapse.

It was all programmed in 1999 and sort of had to happen after that.

John

Ice never bothers us West Virginia country boys ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Here is the message to people: "Dear people! Make more bad loans. Spend more money,it is good for the economy. If anything happens, we are going to save you".

Here is the message to businesses: "Dear businesses! Since now, the profits are private, however your losses are covered by taxpayers".

I don't like generalizations and global statements. What exactly will collapse and how? How would it affect the John Larkin's valuable knowledge in designing the electonics? Would it make his measurement equipment less accurate?

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

What I'm afraid of if all this is somehow a conspiracy. If forgein governments are involved and trying to bring down the US or if it is the government itself trying to setup the people. (for example, to somehow influence the election or rape the country of it's economic wealth)

Although I guess in either case it doesn't matter because the end result is the same.

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

Only two ways out for the US govt - print money or raise taxes. A lot depends on what China wants to do with its dollars.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

It's all the fault of the Chinese and the Iranians (or will be once the sheeples short term memories have lapsed) At least you can bomb one of them.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

In Alaska, there is enough of space for the concentration camps. Especially concerning the need for the cheap labor to get the minerals. BTW, that's one of the reasons for having Sara Palin in the government...

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

If the laws are changed back to pre-99, and some draconian penalties are added, and short-selling is restricted or eliminated, and maybe the tax code were tweaked to discourage speculation, that wouldn't send the messages you suggest.

A lot of the economy runs on credit, like for big capital expenses, and consumer buys of cars and houses, and construction loans. All that could collapse if credit is unavailable.

My company has no debt, so we wouldn't be directly affected, but I'd hate for my customers to, say, stop building railway engines or pipelines or airplanes.

John

Oh, quit fantasizing.

John

Good grief! Sick ideas emanating from a sick mind :-(

...Jim Thompson

           Liberalism is a persistent vegetative state