opinion on power supply design workshop

Yup. And somtimes one just has to live with those, like it can be with idling combustion engines.

Exactamente. Although I only used one CD40106. More gusto to drive the FET gate, via a pnp/npn follower. I got about the same efficiency at much lower cost and most of all we got rid of this unreliable single-source situation.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

And the winner is ... LTC. As expected.

Mistake. Big mistake. Just like WebBench is to me.

DOA.

Well, yeah, but they are very fast and can quickly show you if an unorthodox idea works. Only once (in many years) did I have a discrepancy between a model and real life that almost became a showstopper. It was a chip designer error on the LT6700 series, to which LTC immediately fessed up and issued corrective action.

One of my recent jobs, a set of four switchers operating in a very slow external non-linear loop, would have taken many hours per run if I had used real IC models instead of proprietary behavioral.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

When you want to buy 20,000,000 of something, you tend to get real support. When you want to buy 200, less.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

That's ok but if they think that way then the company should be honest about it and clearly say so. What I find dishonest is to wet someone's appetite with ads, demo parts and whatnot, have them design it in, and then not delivering product in due course.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Why not just ask Ray about that?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

d pretty good and am entertaining the idea of signing up for it. I've neve r attended a workshop like this before, and it is a bit pricey. I was wond ering what people's thoughts are on workshops, or if this workshop sounds g ood? I'm fairly new (less than 5 years) to power supply design and want to learn more about it, I've designed a few, I'm familiar with the topologies , wrestle through compensation and magnetics design. A link to the worksho p is below. thanks

I don't know where you live but this one is free.

wanderer

You remind me of some old lady that got cheated by some name your ethnic minority and thus has concluded for the rest of eternity that said ethnic minority is a bunch of crooks. [Those damn Martians screwed me. I will never buy from extra-terrestrials again!]

OK, Maxim dissed your dinky company. Get over it. Years ago they screwed lots of people, but the people responsible for such nonsense are gone. [Still plenty more people need to be shown the door, but plenty of wankers retired.] Buy from LTC, TI, whatever.

Reply to
miso

Clearly you don't understand how watchdogs work.

Reply to
miso

Any time you want to start making sense, we're ready to listen.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom laser drivers and controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME thermocouple, LVDT, synchro acquisition and simulation

You need to get out more, talk to engineers in companies. Or go on Digikey, key in "DC DC Switching Regulators".

Maxim total: 1221 Maxim in stock: 356

TI total: 7291 TI in stock: 3459

That's what some folks promised over and over again. Just promises. The example above is from right now, today.

Oh, I do buy from those. What I buy personally is of no consequence to them or Maxim. The design decisions I make are.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Back in the day, I worked in a two-man company, and my rule was to triple-source everything I could, and lifecycle stock everything I couldn't. Because those companies don't care if a 2-man outfit lives or dies.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

That is the reason why I sometimes design with discretes where there would have been an IC. But there are certain companies I trust pretty well and others that I do not trust. Over 15 years of my career was as a consultant where one has many clients. You see a lot of grief around you when in that role, folks not able to procure materials, line stop situations, and so on. The good thing for me was that vaporware chips have brought me several design-out jobs.