opamps in magnetic fields

Considering that the B field will force the electrons on twisted paths, and given that the function of semiconductor devices is based on low charge carrier density and high velocity (compared to metals), and intricate diffusion phenomena, there's plenty of potentially weak spots to fall victim to the field. In short, the carriers will Hall effect all over the place and create compenasating static E fields -- it'll be interesting.

My gut feeling is: bipolars won't notice, FETs will quit. Think about operating an eletron tube in a B field. OK, that's too far-fetched.

When you do the experiments, tell us about the results.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

I get the impression, from the literature in the area I'm working in, that fets are indeed affected by fields like this, but I don't have hard numbers. The opamp I'd like to use is a bi-fet!

I will post anything I find.

John

Robert Latest is wrong. Bipolars are affected by magnetic fields in the plane of the die, CMOS by fields perpendicular to the die.

After all it is simply JxB.

The net effect is related both to feature size _and_ the field strength.

I can't provide hard numbers. Maybe some physicist could do a calculation... say Slowman? Bwahahahahahaha ;-)

I personally experienced it with an alternator regulator hybrid assembly in the mid '60's... 5A from the field power device flowing in the ground lead frame _under_ the control chip wreaked havoc until the bonds were re-routed past the chip mount.

...Jim Thompson

                          In Memoriam...
                       Duane Lee Thompson
                October 31, 1972 - April 20,2006
          4th Child, 2nd Son, of Jim & Naomi Thompson
                     Victim of Colon Cancer