op-amp-controlled MOSFET cucrrent-source

That can work, though I wanted more steps, or at least more in certain parts of the IV curve.

Another thing you can do is use just one resistor and switching MOSFET in series with it, and PWM the MOSFET to get the average conductance that you want. Then you need to put an enormous electrolytic capacitor in parallel with the load and solar panel, so that the solar panel doesn't see any ripple in the current and voltage.

Both of the above are a lot easier to design and get a nice IV curve, if someone has told you beforehand quite an accurate estimate of what the current and voltage from the solar panel will be. Otherwise choosing the power resistor values is a bit tricky.

Reply to
Chris Jones

Dunno if anybody's following this aspect, but there's a goal and path to follow. Today I was able to bench verify a 10ns IXTP02N120 step response (5mA to 10mA), but only if Vds >= 35 volts. My simple model ignores Coss = 10pF and Crss = 2pF at 35V. But at 5 volts, Coss = 70pF and Crss = 50pF, which slows the current switching to 20 to 30ns or longer.

Actually, my plan was to cascode the "signal" MOSFET with a HV power part, running off the op-amp's Vcc supply rail, so Vds may well be under 5 to 10 volts. That needs to be a low-capacitance low-voltage part. With the right parts we can keep the simple model.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

5-10 mA? what's the load? I imagine current sources for driving coils, TECs or laser diodes on the low end.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

For micro-step charge pulses, piezo actuator scanning in charge mode. Precision pulses of current X time. 50mA or 250mA FS, etc. Low currents are the hardest.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win