O/T: why knot?

Recently I reviewed my old Boy Scout knots, and could only remember four. Contrary to Winston Churchill's quip, it appears whiskey has taken more out me, than I've taken out of whiskey -

So I'm looking for a list of recommended knots to learn (or re-learn). Now you retort: why come here, just find a book, sheesh!

The problem is, those books feature 50+ knots, many of them redundant. It's called information overload. What I need is a curator. I figure a dozen, I could handle that. More specifically, for each knot, WHAT FOR, what's the application?

Why am I asking this oddball question on this board? Cuz the IQ of this group is 20 points above the rest of the internet. Engineers know lots of useful stuff -

Any sailors/mountaineers/horsemen here?

--
Rich
Reply to

I had a young adult's guide to sailing book when I was a kid, sadly I cant remember the title. It was probably from the 1960s. I recall it had a selection of about a dozen knots commonly used for sailing. Very good diagrams.

If you want to be new-school I'd try a YouTube search on "top 10 knots every man must know!" or somesuch I'm sure there's something.

Yep, something like this:

Reply to
bitrex

What four knots do you know/ use? Except for some weird fishing line knots, I may only use four. Except for the square knot I don't know the names.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

mandag den 10. juni 2019 kl. 21.42.39 UTC+2 skrev RichD:

page 585-596

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Gotta know a bowline knot!

Here's a few for tying loads down. Bowline, sheet bend, alpine butterfly, and half hitch.

Sorry he has other videos showing each not better, but I'm not finding the links. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

The ones I use by far most often are the bow knot, to tie shoelaces, and the clove hitch and the variant known as 'two half-hitches', which I use to attach objects to my trekking poles. Easy and quick to tie, easy to tighten, very secure yet easy to undo. Never underestimate the effectiveness of a couple of free turns before making the hitches. It's also useful to bundle things together.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Sorry, i am all twisted up in a ball, do knot know how to answer, have tangled vocabulary. Just call me Oliver Twist.

Reply to
Robert Baer

My go-to knots are:

bowline full hitch square taut line hitch

bowline - easy to tie, won't self-constrict under tension

full hitch - used to tie ropes to non-rope things

square - easy to untie, useful for holding things closed

taut line hitch - used with bowline to make a pulley system to REALLY tighten a rope.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

If you can master the plain, ordinary shoelace bow, your skill level will be above average. Half the population do it wrong.

--
RoRo
Reply to

Half the population and his granny?

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Coon

Square knot Taut line hitch fishermen's knot (for splicing two pieces together.. can be different sizes) The figure eight (double ended) loop knot.. (that's my made up name)

And the half hitch.. which seems like only half a knot, so use lots. :^)

GH.

Reply to
George Herold

Sailor in the sense of kayaking.

1) Bowline knot - a good way to put a loop on the end of a rope. I use it for securing many things like a line to a boat that isn't temporary or to j ust have a loop on a rope to toss on a piling. I tie it by remembering the thing about the rabbit coming out of the hole and around the tree and back into the hole. However, after you have tied these a couple of hundred tim es you realize it is the same knot as the Sheet bend but with the same piec e of rope for both parts.

2) Clove hitch - this is a great knot for tying the other end of a line to a piling or round post. Not sure it works as well if the post is square. Easy to tie no matter what really, but super easy when one end of the post is free and you can slip two loops of the line over the top, pull taught an d you are done.

3) Sheet bend - good way to connect two lines that are not the same size or even if they are. A doubled sheet bend is very secure.

4) Two Half Hitches & Taut-Line Hitch - I used to use two half hitches thin king I was using a taut-line hitch, but they are similar. Used to make a c onnection that needs to be tightened after it is tied. On the taut-line hi tch you can tie the last loop either direction and it seems to work both wa ys just fine. References will show it either way.

e-Lezer.pdf

A friend ties his kayak to the roof with a variation of the trucker's hitch but it sure seems overkill to me. That hitch seems to be about being able to tighten it up as you tie it.

A chain sinnet is a good way to stow a rope so it can be pulled out quickly without tangling. It takes a little time to prepare, but is good for emer gency lines where you don't have time to screw with untangling.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Alpine butterfly is a good knot for the purpose. I used one to make a line to tie the front of my kayak to the bumper. That's the only time I've use d it and couldn't remember how to make it when I tried to show someone. lo l But for making a loop in the middle of a rope where you can pull on it from any direction, it's great!

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

On a sunny day (Mon, 10 Jun 2019 12:42:33 -0700 (PDT)) it happened RichD wrote in :

This good enough for you?

Jan Panteltje

Most people know figure-8 (stop knot), bowline, sheet bend, reef knot and clove hitch. Drop the reef knot, and add the trucker's hitch (for tying loads) and Hunter's knot for a very strong rope-joining bend.

Especially Hunter's knot, it's awesome. Most scouts (and books) don't even know it.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Hunter's hitch? Generally not recommended because of relatively low strength and jams under moderate load. I would never use it; the figure-8 bend, ring bend or double overhand bend are all better in all regards. Just because you can't untie it doesn't mean it is strong!

My two preferred sources of knot info are "On Rope:..." by Bruce Smith, which has excellent info on selecting the best rope for the job as well as detailed info on the most useful climbing and rigging knots:

And more applicable to my typical use, "The Tree Climber's Companion: A Reference And Training Manual For Professional Tree Climbers". Since I am not a professional I review the later book prior to every climb to be sure I am not forgetting anything.

Both of these books emphasize learning a small number of knots very well, rather than learning a large number of knots. They go well beyond what the OP wanted, but they are fairly cheap and interesting IMHO.

Glen

Reply to
glen walpert

glen walpert wrote in news:A9PLE.26462$935.4795 @fx46.iad:

notty knotty naughty noughty

now-T

It is naughty and not appropriate to discuss noughty knots.

He's a real not here man...

Sitting in his nought here land...

Making all his knot here plans for knot bodies...

Doesn't have a knot to tie...

Unlike George he can knot lie...

Doesn't he knot like you and me...

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

For some introductory sailing course I did a while ago, I had to learn the bowline, the stopper, the sheet bend and the clove hitch. I practiced tying them every evening for six months. This might sound excessive, but for some reason I *seriously* struggled to remember how to tie them (even the simplest ones) between practice sessions. Then one evening shortly before my exam, I found I couldn't remember how to tie *any* of them. No matter how hard I tried, I could not make any of those knots! Same next evening and the next and the next. I withdrew from the exam - and sailing in general as well as a result. I'd be intrigued to know why, when I have such an excellent memory in all other respects, there's just a gaping great hole in whatever part of the brain it is that deals with tying knots. I find the whole process of tying knots utterly baffling. Still, I suppose we *all* have our shortcomings in some area or another. :-/

Cursitor Doom

On the other extreme, there's Encyclopedia of Knots and Fancy Rope Work, by Graumont and Hensel (a good gift book if you know someone interested in macrame). My go-to is Cyrus Day's _Knots and Splices_, which is more into the old school of splicing (and whipping) natural fiber rope. I'm not as fond of the options for slippery artificial fibers, but a good eye splice does amuse and relax me from time to time.

Reply to
whit3rd

sheet bend - few people can distinguish this from the square knot, which is less secure, but easier to tie. double clove hitch - simple, useful for lashing a boat to a pole, but depends on constant tension. anchor hitch - simple, intuitive, very useful hangman's noose - useful if you don't have an extra horse to transport the varmint back to civilization.

I couldn't remember the bowline! Back in the day, I could tie one with one hand, a good party trick -

--
Rich
Reply to