Nuclear Disaster Detection

Hmmm, I am not so sure how much paranoia will you "prevent" waving a GM counter around in a supermarket :D . I am really at a loss how real GM enthusiasts (who of all people should know better) keep on expecting to see food contamination. Labs equipped with HPGe spectrometers for food testing do exist, you know, and their MDA is many orders of magnitude below that achievable with a GM counter; then this is the only practical way to tell what contamination you have and what may have caused it.

That is not to say I have anything against people playing with GM counters of course, on the contrary, we all need to make stuff to play with and enjoy, obviously I am no different myself.

Dimiter

------------------------------------------------------ Dimiter Popoff, TGI

dp

On a sunny day (Sun, 12 Jan 2014 23:30:27 -0800 (PST)) it happened dp wrote in :

I think we agree here, as a hobby I like to see what happens and what isotopes I can measure etc.. I could run that a as business too at some point if things are properly calibrated. In the front line, so to speak, if somebody's Geiger counter starts screaming when held over the food, it _is_ sign to pay some attention, maybe call the authorities, who then can take (force) the product of the shelves.

Governments, or better politics, is not about truth, it is about guiding people, like 'drive them up Rawhide, just keep them':

Real security, false feeling of security, paranoia, sell, I like to have some hand on experience in many fields, nuclear is just one of those. Just playing. The plus of having done things in many fields is the ability to combine the acquired knowledge to do things nobody did before.

To go where no man has gone before.

They do say knowledge is power.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I also like "The Blues Brothers" , both the first and the second. Interestingly I was not very impressed when I first saw the first part (around 1990, a friend in Germany had me see it). But when I saw it for the second time (must have been on TV) I really liked it.

Dimiter

Reply to
dp

On a sunny day (Mon, 13 Jan 2014 00:22:37 -0800 (PST)) it happened dp wrote in :

Yes the first one is realy cool, I have it recorded on DVD, has some good music too.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 13 Jan 2014 10:39:20 -0500) it happened Neon John wrote in :

It is a political decision, that zone should actually be bigger, and may be include Tokyo. It all depends on the human losses you allow over time. Japan has experience with that, Hiroshima, Nagasaki, an experiment from your friends.

No I did not post that, you are kong-fused about that.

Well, toy, this is not really a toy I am building. You haven no idea what I am building.

Well , nobody is stopping you from settling there these days, in Japan you could perhaps try it too, maybe they will let you, maybe not.

Learning a language is not difficult, I speak about 4 or 5. Wow, free land... for so little effort as buying a language CD. You could find a local teacher to train you. How the f*ck do you think I speak Dutch, French, German, English, and some Portuguese? And C, asm for many micros, basic, pascal, several more computah languages.

Well I don't, and I think you make a big mistake, The air and ground there is polluted with everything radioactive from C-137 to pure plutonium.

AHA! There is this fun free movie, try downloading it, the Russian character playing in it is named Fuckov:

I have some mil stuff in the attic, I am not interested in old junk, I design new things with features never seen before, and the radiation problem is addressed too.

Yea, and some people drive a T-Ford and swear by it. Time moves on though.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje