NSA & RSA

And the Target situation reeks of an inside job. ...Jim Thompson

On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 14:52:42 -0600, Jon Elson Gave us:

Batch processing went away ages ago.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 14:52:42 -0600, Jon Elson Gave us:

WRONG METHOD. PROBABLY ILLEGAL.

The bastards also flood my iPad email address, and sold that info to a bunch of other retarded bastards.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 17:26:54 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

You can bet. There was no inadvertent web browsing introducing some smart ass's trojan client.

This was a set-up. A block retrieval.

Target probably should take a dive for it too. It will certainly harm Americans yet one more smite.

We need to start boycotting the bullshit.

"No no" hair removal... all that shit. If it is NOT legitimate, it should not be showing up in front of my face.

Goddamned snake oil idiots everywhere.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

My gut feeling about these types of events tells me that the majority of them are inside jobs. The problem is however, they know the people working for them will notice at some point and possibly take advantage of it. Those are the ones they let slide a little as they put their hands in the cookie jar. When things get too hot, they have their fall guy.

You see, when doing big theft like that, you have to allow some small amount of people to do a little theft on your behalf :)

It's the way business colleges teach good business practices these days :)

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

It's only an iPad, how much would you expect from it anyway !

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Almost true. The only exception is the one-time pad.

Reply to
tuinkabouter

This is uncrackable.

Andy K

This is true only as long as any keys both on the source as well as any destination site are destroyed before any "secret" transaction has been known to performed by a hostile partner.

Reply to
upsidedown

Not for "hand delivered" keys.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Susceptible to rectothermal cryptoanalysis

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not.

Reply to
krw

Oh! Is that how miso and bloggs do it ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

If used correctly:

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

JT > This is uncrackable.

krw > In theory, reality and theory are krw > the same. In reality, they are not. While that axiom is generally true, it's not true in the case of this cypher, krw. No amount of supercomputing can decrypt this. Such efforts would be in vain for this cypher. The pre-arranged OTP key for each message (and in Vernam by extension each character) is not so much an exercise in cryptography as in keeping the keys secure. The Vernam One Time cypher looks to be more vulnerable to theft of the pre-arranged "OTP" keys than to cryptographic decoding. The means of delivering the pre-arranged OTP keys to the recipient would be the most obvious vulnerability. Transmitting the keys to the recipient across the insecure network would be foolish. Theft of keys or tampering with the random number generator would both involve more "hands on" efforts than pure decryption. If a determined eavesdropper were going to use that much "hands on" physical intrusion then perhaps video surveillance /wire tapping would be easier as well. This cypher certainly makes use of the old axiom about making decryption too difficult to be worth doing. Jim was right, this one is uncrackable. Watch him go off on me for saying that.

Reply to
Greegor

Wrong. OTPs have been broken throughout history. The reality is that nothing around the OTP is secure, primarily because humans are involved.

Irrelevant.

...and there, reality sets in.

No, he's certainly *NOT* right.

Reply to
krw

Interesting history. That led to

which relates the Venona connection: According to Feklisov, Rosenberg provided thousands of classified (top secret) reports from Emerson Radio, including a complete proximity fuze, an upgraded model of which was used to shoot down Gary Powers' U-2 in 1960. Under Feklisov's administration, Rosenberg is said to have recruited sympathetic individuals into NKVD service, including Joel Barr, Alfred Sarant, William Perl and Morton Sobell.[11] The Venona intercept shows that Julius Rosenberg (code name LIBERAL) was the head of this particular spy ring.

According to Feklisov, he was supplied by Perl, under Julius Rosenberg?s direction, with thousands of documents from the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics, including a complete set of design and production drawings for the Lockheed's P-80 Shooting Star. Feklisov says he learned through Rosenberg that his brother-in-law David Greenglass was working on the top-secret Manhattan Project at the Los Alamos National Laboratory; he used Julius to recruit him.[10]

Oh what a web we weave, ...

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

The 2005 thru 2007 TJ Maxx incident, where 45 million credit card numbers were leaked, was done by hacking the stores wi-fi network, which then gave them access to the main database. No skimming involved.

Credit card skimmers were involved in far too many credit card thefts to pin down to a single incident. They tend to grab a few hundred credit card numbers at a time with moderate risk as the perpetrator has to appear at the scene twice, once to install the skimmer and once to retreive the data. How many of these skimmers would you have spotted? The latest devices are at the bottom of the page.

Making such devices has also become fashionable using 3D printers.

There are also the usual keyboard data loggers:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Ummm... Despite rumors of its demise, batch processing is still very much with us today. etc.

Another version can be found in cloud computing. For example, Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2), which adjusts resource utilization to match the job requirements. Not exactly job control but close enough.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

--
The involvement of humans is a separate issue, and has nothing to do
with the inherent security of the technique.