Need stacking connector for CAN

Hi, I've been using the CAN bus to connect my custom benchtop instrument modules. Physically, I've been using 4-pin 3.5mm terminal blocks to run the bus around inside enclosures (e.g. Weidmuller 1615690000) and the same thing to go between enclosures. However, my clients complain that terminal blocks on the between-enclosure cables look too ghetto for their tastes, so I have to figure out something else. Also, they have a hard time adding/removing bus segments and terminating resistors when reconfiguring the bus (apparently, they can't use a screwdriver) and want something pluggable.

D-subs are out (even tho that's the standard CAN solution), because we use them for too many other things. The perfect solution would be something like the classic stacking GPIB connectors, aka MDR or microribbon connectors. However, I can't use 24-pin MDR connectors because they would get confused with GPIB ports, and I can't find anything smaller. CAN only needs 4 lines -- 2 signal, 2 power. And I've never seen stackable MDR connectors (without cables) for sale.

The "B" solutions would be to put a pair of connectors (d-sub, MDR, DIN, circular, whatever) on each enclosure to allow for daisy- chaining, but a more elegant solution would be something stackable. Is there something out there in RS485 land that I've missed?

Thanks, Jim MacArthur

Reply to
Jim MacArthur

I'd take a close look at the 2.0 mm PH-series connectors from JST. They're ubiquitous, latching, and pretty inexpensive. They do a fine job for wire-to-board connections and, while not stackable, they do take up a commendably small space.

JST also has a companion KRD plug that uses the same receptacle series and is a daisy-chainable IDC. Maybe that's the ticket?

Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to
Rich Webb

That's a concept -- daisy chaining with an IDC connector. I'll get a few connectors in and check them out. I'm worried that the wires in the DeviceNet cable I use for long runs (Belden 3084) are too fat (22,24 AWG) for this series (specced for 26-28 AWG) but I bet there's something like it out there, if I look around a bit. Thanks for replying.

-J MacA.

Reply to
Jim MacArthur

Stackable is not IP67 compatible.

Google for "push-pull connector" may have what you can use.

Sexy too. ;-) h

Reply to
hamilton

The usb connector? Or fiberoptics couplings? they can be designed to be for two way transport. Or the firewire method? With one master and almost unlimited slaves along the single signsl wire cable.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

You might want to go with a standard USB mini or micro connector, as long as you clearly label it as NOT USB. You can even make the pinouts compatible...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

My clients are scientists. They assume that they know much more about the equipment I designed than I do, and therefore can safely ignore the label. That said, there is that whole raft of consumer connectors

-- firewire (IEEE-1394), DVI, HDMI, etc., that are rare enough in instrumentation that I could risk putting one on a box. And they're small enough that two jacks on an enclosure wouldn't take up much room....

-Jim

Reply to
Jim MacArthur

How about Switchcraft Tini-QG "Mini XLR" series? Available in 3, 4,

5, or 6 pin versions. Use a male & female jack so you can chain connections, or unplug the pair of cables from the equipment and plug them together to bypass that unit?
--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist!  I m just a very ticked
off scientist!!!

Probably miniDIN is what you'll end up using. Small, well supported, shrouded (so the pins don't break off) and not D-sub.

There's other solutions (Molex makes nice nylon connectors, miniFIT 2) but jacketed multiconductor wire is better with strain relief options, and miniDIN isn't locking you in to a single supplier.

Do NOT use USB (the cables are all master-slave with different connectors on the ends), or Firewire (it's standard for digital video, which isn't outside the realm of instrumentation nests). If you use miniDIN-4, there's lots of prebuilt S-video wiring available.

Reply to
whit3rd

Ta, all. That was very helpful. I still haven't decided, but you gave me some good possibilities to ponder.

-Jim MacA.

Reply to
William MacArthur