Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

Did it also leave you with a life-long stutter? ;)

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

No matter how it's done, the problem is still finding roadies who can move it.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

That's only .5dB short of the spec. He won't even hear the difference.

Reply to
krw

I've been zapped through my chest (front to back) with 100J five times and 300J once (I have calibrated the burn marks). I was awake for #5. That *hurt*.

That's not counting the bypass/MAZE (in '14). No idea if it was needed but #2 was a week later.

Reply to
krw

20.45dB - you missed two zeroes.

Probably true, he'd be mincemeat either way

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Be sure to specify half-ounce copper on the circuit boards.

Reply to
mpm

If you could hear anything at all, ever again, after being exposed to that much noise.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Ouch. I've never needed to have my heart restarted with the paddles. I'm told it's no fun when it happens. Several of my friends have pacemakers with built in defibrillators installed. If the heart misses too many beats or fails to follow a medically acceptable rhythm, they get automatically zapped. I'm told it feels like getting hit in the chest with a baseball bat, which also seems like no fun.

Stay well.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Did you catch the part about using diesel train engines? They run on railroad tracks. No need for a caravan of trucks, when railroad cars will do as well or better.

When the diesel electric locomotive is not moving railroad cars around, it can be driving the air compressors, or if desperate powering the electronics needed for the sound system. Most diesel-electric locomotives deliver 3000 horsepower or 2.2 megawatts. So, a 200 megawatt amplifier (assuming 50% efficiency) would require: 200*10^6 / 2.2*10^6 = 91 locomotive engines to power the amplifier and probably a similar number of tank cars to keep the locomotives supplied with diesel. That's a fairly long train, but is still better than a caravan of trucks carrying the same engines, compressors, or generators.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Is it my imagination or does this group seem to lack the ability to design mega scale and high power devices? Methods and construction techniques that work so well at low power levels, do not scale well into kilowatt or megawatt devices.

One does not use PCB's on megawatt scale amplifiers. One uses thick bus bars to interconnect components. There might be a PCB in the low level part of the amplifier, but stages operating at over 1000 watts need big fat conductors, physically large capacitors, heavy duty transformers, oil bath capacitors, and high current knife switches.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

The tracks won't run right up to the concert hall, but I guess it isn't necessary to carry the amp all the way to the concert, since they will hear it anyway. But then the band will have to play at the tracks. Nothing left for the roadies to do. Hopefully they don't have a union.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Nah, the guy's an amateur. A real rock musician would turn it up to

10**11. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Pulsed laser people.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I recall the 1st US festival with 30 bands in San Bernadino started by Wozn iak in the early 80's had a 1 Megawatt audio system. It was impressive.

With stacked 1mx1m speakers in arrays larger than a two drive-in movie scre ens in stereo, and it was HiFi quality. The satellite speakers on towers h ad perfect delay also had a water jet on a turret to cool the audience betw een sets. You would dry out in 5 minutes. Unlike Woodstock, it was well-p lanned, and well-managed.

Anthony Stewart

It's never supposed to be done to someone who is still conscious. Ever. They weren't happy when I told them about it the next day. "We didn't think you'd remember...". Yeah, right.

My brother has one. He likens it to being kicked in the chest by a mule. I have a pacemaker because of electrical problems but didn't need the cardioverter/defibrillator version. Apparently the need for a pacemaker runs in the family.

Reply to
krw

They had 13 years to learn the mistakes made. No one even suspected that Woodstock would turn out to be Woodstock.

Reply to
krw

My eyes skipped right over them. ;-)

Reply to
krw

If he's any good, he can post his performance to YouTube, a billion people will play it, and there's your 100 megawatts.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Cursitor Doom wrote in news:psagtb$9gs$17@dont- email.me:

Only when he writes the word "computer". He stutters out "computah" every time. Or maybe that is another s.e.d poster.

Hehehe... hic... hehehe...

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

"Tom Del Rosso" wrote in news:psaptu$gth$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

tubes.

This is the point at which the 'tour' participants *and* audience comes to your venue, every time.

Hey I know! Rebuild Red Rocks to accommodate 2 1MW stereo speaker stacks.

Set up another 2 1MW units for surround sound and you could create a sound pressure swing that vaporizes the audience. (compresses them into the quantum realm).

Hahaha... yeah, sure...