MsPacMan

This is cool, a nanograbber for clipping onto fine-pitch parts.

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/MsPacMan.JPG

As you squeeze it to open the little wire clamp things, it looks just like the PacMan thing gobbling up dots. Flip the image over, and it looks like some fancy Israeli assault rifle. These cost $14 each, by the dozen.

But to be serious for a second: We seed our boards with "test points", really just unmasked vias with 42 mill drills, a nice size to jam a scope probe tip into. What I really need is a thing that I can solder to the end of a wire, like a scope ground clip or a test lead, that will plug into such a hole and stay put and make contact. It would be a little metal tube with a bustle of curved, springy wires, 2 or more, poking out the end...

springy wires jam into via tube =========== /------\ wire ----- \ ===================== -----\ / =========== -------

Google's no help. Does anybody know if someone makes these things?

John

=A0 springy wires jam into via

=3D =A0 =A0 =A0/------\

=A0 =A0 \

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0/

=3D =A0 =A0 =A0 -------

I used to sit and make little test points myself that were tiny pieces of Teflon sheathed SPC wire which I stripped a bit, then quick tinned to stiffen the stripped segment a bit, then form that into a tiny loop, then re-tin that with it against the non-looped part of the bared wire making a closed, round, non-emissive loop. Then strip the other end carefully so that you get some wire below the loop, but no so long as to be overtly emissive, and tin what is below that, and cut it for PCB insertion. One can choose a gauge that makes for an interference fit on the via so that inserted test points remain during reflow or wave operations..

I would personally hand solder them. Scope probes and meter probes hook right on to the little loops just fine at that point.

Reply to
Nunya

I use redundant 32 mil vias for test po>

Reply to
oparr

On a sunny day (Fri, 16 Jul 2010 10:29:43 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

I have used normal sewing needles, those come in a pack with differnt sizes for a few cents. the tip is conical shaped and will stick a bit. On the other side you can slide it into an isolated wire, or clip the scope on it.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I vaguely remember, from my GenRad days, "pogo" pin ?? ...Jim Thompson

               Friday is Wine and Cheeseburger Day

Like this?

A bit large and you'd have to solder your wire to the lug. Not sure how long the springiness will last after xx insertions and removals. Maybe they've got smaller ones.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

=A0 springy wires jam into via

=3D =A0 =A0 =A0/------\

=A0 =A0 \

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0/

=3D =A0 =A0 =A0 -------

get some of the pressfit dil sockets like on page 142 in this:

push the pins out of the plastic form to get single ones

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

That looks pretty good; I'll try some. Soldering a wire on there is fine. We bought something like 50 scope ground leads for the lab, so I could sacrifice a few. Thanks.

John

I believe Newark carries them.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Digikey has it, too. Search for "keystone test points" and you'll get a nice selection for diameter, color etc. Looks like it is popular, because some types are available in container quantities :-)

Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Frank Buss

By public documentation (see above), you just lost patent rights...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Thanks, I didn't know they carried these. Unfortunately such test points are comparatively large, for 0.040" holes and similar.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Come on Joerg. They're only three for ten bucks. You can afford them!

BTW, we use something similar for less than $.10 each. ...and those are usually deleted when production settles down.

Reply to
krw

Oops! Just noticed that was the extended price. They're "only" a third of a buck, so they're still in your range (too early). .

Reply to
krw

I didn't say I can't afford them :-)

They are just a bit large for modern SMT layouts. Technologically a bit long in the tooth.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

;-)

We use them on power supplies and a couple of communications lines (RS-422). They're useful for scope grounds.

There once were connectors that would accept a scope tip. Has anyone seen those recently? They were *expensive* but for test jigs they would be useful.

Reply to
krw

those

Not recently. I often use needles, the ones that come with higher end shirts. You know, where Murphy says that you'll always forget one when trying it on and ... OUCH. Many can be soldered to (not all) and then occasionally I use a rubber band to tug a bit on the cable or the needle so it won't fly out.

The needles are free, as long as you pay the $49 plus tax for the shirt :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

You mean a Tupperware container? ;-)

128,000 of those, bagged in 1K lots, is probably a bit under 10 lb (4 kg)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I have some coils of silver coated copper. 1 mm diameter are nice for soldering stable test points and 0.4 mm is useful, if you don't have much space (or for dead bug style prototyping). Of course, not as easy and good as a ready made test points with a loop and plastic ring for easier mounting.

--
Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Frank Buss

you are right, it is easy for me to be wrong when estimating volumens without calculating :-)

--
Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Frank Buss