Magnetic Motor

Is it possible to make a motor out of permanent magnets only? ie use the stored energy of the magnets which presumably would lose their magnetism as power is drawn. The motor would need a kick star of course. Or would the motor only do 1 revolution.

Danuta

Reply to
recips

Possible but useless. Certain magnets need "keepers" to maintain their magnetism, and lose a lot of it if allowed to run "open circuit", namely with a large air gap. So that makes possible a magnetic circuit that's not mechanically conservative, namely mechanically asymmetric. So the "excess" magnetism of magnets like that might be extractable somehow. But the output would be tiny, and would be extracted in a short time.

Of course, you can build a motor based on simple magnetic attraction, which will run for a short while...

fixed string /////-----NmagnetS NmagnetS---------------->

Wrap string around a shaft, sit back, enjoy.

John

more like half a turn ... then youd have to manualy put it back to the starting position, but at least the magnets wouldnt lose their magnetism

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

It's too massive to be practical - might as well use a standard 6-9 wheel.

--
John
Reply to

I've seen a perpetual motor before how ever, it barely generated enough energy to keep it self going, put a side driving any thing. And it wasn't a rotary type motor in a sense either and didn't use magnets.

If I can find a video of it i'll post it. Just can't think of the name of it at the moment.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

John
Reply to
John O'Flaherty

Here is an article about am 'motor' made of permanent magnets:

It is actually driven by a thermal flow, it has bad efficiency, but I have no doubts that it works.

--
Sven Wilhelmsson    http://home.swipnet.se/swi
Reply to