LS/HCT/etc. logic familes

My Mac Plus still manages to load Smalltalk from 3.5" floppies.

I still have a 8" floppy drive; no idea whether it works, though.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I'm puzzled, that looks like a buffer overpowering the output of the bottom chip.

Reply to
tabbypurr

I remember using a dozen computers networked to a server that consisted of a dual 8" floppy to provide storage. A whopping 400k per disc IIRC. Years later we were wowed by a 70M HDD.

If we went back to then and told them about the computers we have I don't think they's believe it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It's really just the output impedance of the emitter follower into the other gate. So for large signal slew, the emitter follower is boss, for low voltage, the other gate is the driving device

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Yes, I realised after a bit of thinking. It's not a circuit technique I'm familiar with.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I've never seen it in discrete form before, but I have seen it in ICs:

If you think of a gate as a pair of MOSFETs instead of a digital component, all becomes clear. :)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

It was taught in our Junior logic design course ('73) but it was noted that it wasn't very useful. That is, something to note but one probably would never find a real-life use for it.

So someone did find a use for it. I never did, though I kept trying. ;-)

Reply to
krw

We had those in the conference rooms but they've all been taken out (scrapped, I suppose). It's easier to photograph a whiteboard with a phone than to keep those things working (they're antiques).

Sure, since everyone has one, phones are a lot easier. Everyone can make their own "notes".

Reply to
krw

Just copy them to disk drives. Keep a couple of copies. Cheap!

Reply to
krw

LM5112 is similar.

lunatic fringe electronics

re...

  1. He called it "data selector logic". It was probably the CMOS Cookbook. And yes, in general you need both true and complement of the fourth signal. (Of course you could use a 4067 and get one extra bit.) ;)

I was born in '73, thank you for making me feel young :-) (sorry, couldn't resist)

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Our youngest child was born in '72 ;-) ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

Kidz these days! ;-)

Reply to
krw

Level shifters...

...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

Problem is, they are expensive. For normal jobs a Zetex (now Diodes Inc) pair behind a gate plus a resistor is less expensive. When every cent counts then it has to be two discrete BJT.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

We're paying 73 cents each. We don't care about parts cost as much as assembly labor, which includes setup for pick-and-place. So for us, simpler is usually worth more than pure cheap parts cost.

We do tricks with quad r-packs to get various resistance values and divider ratios from one value of pack. That keeps the BOM line count down, and reduces feeder setup.

The LM5112 lets us have an output V- below ground, which is handy some times, and would take more discretes to do. And it has peak drive of

7/3 amps at 15 volts p-p.

IXDN602 is cool too. Dual fet driver, 2 amps, 35 volts, 7 ns rise/fall, 77 cents. With a driver that brutal, sometimes you don't need the fet!

lunatic fringe electronics

In your case that is certainly the right strategy. On many of my designs I have to pinch pennies. Once I designed a nice TDR for a client which ran under $10 in production and I felt real good about the results. Then the client called and asked "Well, it is a really nice design but, ahem, how shall I say, could you design another one that is maybe only 80% as good but costs under $5?".

Yes, though I am usually after more oomph. 10 amp range and Rdson values or equivalents in the 1 ohm vicinity.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

New part:

Dual 5 amps, 20 volts, 7 ns r/f, about 1 ohm each driver, 44 cents in quantity.

Might be nice in a dc/dc converter too. Drive a transformer directly.

lunatic fringe electronics

The IXYS drivers go all the way up to 30A. Maybe they have a bigger one now, too.

I used the 15A versions years ago to drive IGBT modules (+/-15V), no problem.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply to
Tim Williams

Buy one - get one free, and ohm-range for Rdson. Great! Thanks.

With 20V abs max for VCC that may be a nice use for it.