Lorenz Field Coil Array - Opinions?

A friend of mine sent this picture of strangely series-connected coils that he is claiming unusual effects from.

The verrtical coils are wound on steel cores. It looks like two layers starting and ending at the base.

The donut coils are on steel rings. Their conecting wires are thicker.

Note that there is a break in each of the latter that faces toward the periphery of the array. I assume this is to release some of the flux radially.

The unit is powered by pulsed high current DC, being a diode rectified square wave.

The three different levels of particle board on which it is built seems to be to add a contour, or asymmetry, to the generated field.

The stated purpioe is to demonstrate Lorenz force generated by the interactions of the sets of two types of coils. I imagine the current in each set of coils can be adjusted separately.

it would appear the assembly moves or vibrates on the bench, but not due to mechanical force.

Can anyone with experience in electromagnetics please provide some clue as to what is happening with this?

Why is the array configured the way it is, and what are the field interactions involved that might produce such an effect?

Ken Knowles

Reply to
Ken Knowles

Perhaps very large permanent magnets under the bench..?

Approximately nothing.

The configuration is reminiscient of pyramids arranged around a pentagon, or something to that effect. Whatever it's supposed to do, it will be about as effectual as the latter case, too..

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

It's more likely that the vertical cores are generating the magnetic field and that the toroidal windings are some kind of transformer. The gap in the toroidal cores would then just be a mechanism for letting the toroidal win dings cope with a higher current before the toroidal core saturated. There wouldn't be much field any distance away from the gaps.

This sounds odd.

There's nothing special about the Lorentz force - it's just the combination of electric and magnetic foces acting on a moving charged particle.

There will be magnetic forces between the vertical cores. I can't imagine t hat they will be anything except a nuisance.

Without knowing the fine detail of the windings, there's no way of finding out

It might be a device to get a fairly uniform magnetic field in the centre o f the ring, with the outer rings smoothing out the bumps created by the inn er ring.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The explanation stated that there was an effect created by the right-angle opposing fields of the solenoids and toroids. This translated to a motional force.

I think the assumption is that the array acts like a lens to interact with gravity. IOW it produces some kind of ambient field distortion which then results in a compensatory upward thrust.

I am wondering if the concept includes a phase difference between the three rings to simulate rotation or counter-rotation.

Could this be done?

Ken Knowles

Reply to
Ken Knowles

The most familiar device where the Lorentz force is used to counteract gravity is called an 'elevator'. It's used to lift people from the ground to lofty places and back. Ken would do better to keep his two feet solidly on the ground.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Isn't that what they said to orville and Wilbur?

Personally, I prefer the stairs.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Knowles

Don't ask people for opinions then. Climb the damned stairs yourself and tell us what you find up there!

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

This seems unlikely.

This seems even more unlikely.

Not with what's visible.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

You wouldn't, with a trick knee and a cane.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

At the risk of getting a further amusing response, can I ask what the field toplogy would look like between each vertical and donut coil?

Assuning flux between the two occurs at right angle and the polarities work in opposition.

Ken Knowles

Reply to
Ken Knowles

Tell him we want to see the other side of the array, where the external c onnections to the coil sets appear to be.

*Steel* cores? I bet they get hot.

Also note that the interconnecting wires are all on concentric circles, I OW "parallel". Their (weak dipole) fields will interact. That can't be good .

Breaks in the windings won't matter that much. I can't quite tell if ther e are breaks in the cores, which would matter.

"Diode... rectified... square wave...". What?

Yeah, OK.

In another post your friend seems to think it's an antigravity machine.

I don't.

Can't tell without seeing the connections on the other side.

It's trying to tear itself apart.

The solenoids produce vertically-oriented dipole fields. The toroids, ass uming their cores have gaps where the windings do, leak horizontally-orient ed dipole fields. The solenoids feel a torque trying to orient them with th e toroids' fields and vice versa.

No wonder the damned thing vibrates. I don't see how the coils are attach ed to the board(s) but I bet they get looser each time the thing is run.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

Toroidal coils don't have an external field if they've been wound properly (with a non-progressive winding). Gapping the toroidal core doesn't make much difference to this. The toroidal coils are almost certainly there as pure transformers - they won't make much difference to the magnetic field.

That's missing the point.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

If the solenoids can bring the toroid material into saturation, there will be some unusual effects, all right. But that's just material nonlinearity, not related to anything one calls "Lorentz force". It looks like a perpetual-motion gizmo (lots of parts, vague principle of operation).

Reply to
whit3rd

yeah, it's the free energy the device is picking up. It has go to somewhere so the device moves in funny ways.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Ha, but more importantly, mysterious operation. There's some really funny devices like this on youtube.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

And, for all we know, the current in each successive circle runs counter to the next.

I assume that means it is a digtial pulse and not bipolar.

You mean it is either optimized to self-destruct, or instead focus that energy into some type iof linear force?

Hence the propagation of the Lorentz force. The stated principle is that this produces an orthagonal compensatory effect that results in weight loss, or vertical lift.

Yes, it would be nice to see the connections.

From what I can tell, the rods and toroids are powered separately. Rather than admitting separate signals, this could simply be to balance the current between them. I notice the wire to the toroids is thicker.

Ken Knowles

Reply to
Ken Knowles