Looking for specs for HL1606 Dual RGB LED controller

Folks, When I was in Shanghai recently I found some very cool RGB LED ribbon lights. The ribbon is populated with one 16 pin surface mount chip every 3cm or so. Each chip has 2 high brightness RGB LED's hooked to it. The chips are an HL 1606 which I believe is made by Wuxi ASIC corp in Wuxi province of China. Unfortunately I have been unable to find a spec sheet on this chip despite many days looking. Based on scope observations, the signaling is quite complex and contains color, ramp and brightness info in some complicated frame format on a

5 wire interface which I believe is SPI. Does anyone know this chip.. or knowwhere I can find a data sheet and perhaps some app notes ? I'm hoping to clone the simple PIC based controller I bought with it. Thanks very much for any help or leads...

-john cohn snipped-for-privacy@us.ibm.com

Reply to
johncohn

Something similar?

GPG

I was recently working on an SPI interface and debugging it with a scope wasn't cutting it. I borrowed one of these

and it showed me the problem just about instantly. If you just want to reverse-engineer the interface, this may help. If you don't want to spend the money on that box, the other way is to get an old junk PC, wire the interface to the parallel port, and write a DOS program to watch the input lines on the port.

Have you tried putting the chip in a programmer and reading back the program? (Or did they activate the settings that are meant to make it hard to read the program out?)

Standard disclaimers apply; I don't get money or other consideration from any companies mentioned.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

There are a series of project called "disco dance floor",

were engineering students built a Color LED dance floor and bar top.

The schematic and code are available.

don

Reply to
Donald