linear motor -- copley control corp. servotube's high speed motion

Hello everyone, Is there anyone has ever used the copley control corp. made linear motor, Servotube or Thrustube? I am very curious about their high velocity(up to 6m/s even 14m/s), with their max travel is only about 1300mm. How can they get a so high velocityis such a short distance? I mean can they really stop in this distance, when they move in such a high speed?

For example, Servotube 3804: Force (peak) (N) 744 Force (cont.) (N) 137 Velocity (max.) (m/s) 6.0 Travel (max.) (mm) 1360

Reply to
wechen1982

They seem to have a standard linear stepping motor forcer. These have been around for more than thirty years now, and can produce spectacular speed and accelerations, given enough current - in this case the currents might melt the forcer if sustained for more than a few fractions of a second, though you'd stop the heating befor you heated the magenitc path over its Curie point (a rather lower temperature).

I've got a couple of text-books on the subject back on my desk in Nijmegen - a decent university library should offer more.

I've never got to use one - the one I ordered (for EMI Cental Research) from Inland Motor back in 1978 didn't work when immersed in very thin oil (which we needed) so they sold it someone else.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen (but in Sydney at the moment).
Reply to