latest tech fad

If the drone does not cross the property line, it's not much different from being in a tree, a camera in a tree or even just being on your roof or looking out your upstairs window. Are any of those illegal o even wrong?

If someone wants to see what is going on, they can hire a helicopter and just fly. I believe they have to be 500 feet up, but with modern cameras that's no limitation. So what is new about drones?

--

Rick C
Reply to

A little old lady here in Mesa, AZ, shot down a drone with her shotgun. Turns out it was a sheriff's department drone. She _wasn't_ prosecuted ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Yup :) Feels like it too :)

See the 0m58s video

note the angle, and imagine someone diametrically opposite at the same altitude.

A 60 degree bank => 2G, 70 degree bank => 3G.

Eyeballing sheep as they whizz past at 60kt is fun, too, e.g.

No, that isn't me (although i have flown that ridge), and that pilot's other plane is a 747.

For more /seriously/ well-judged energy management, see

and remember that "up" and "again" were not options.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

That's not true. You can't (legally) use a telescope from the street to peer into bedrooms, either. The expectation of privacy excludes extraordinary means.

They have the money to sue anyone into bankruptcy, anyway.

Reply to
krw

Yes, and yes.

Reply to
krw

The worker repairing my roof must use blinders so that he cannot see into neighbors' yards? Get real.

Reply to
John S

In effect, yes. Posting pictures will get him sued into his next life, if not behind bars.

Reply to
krw

You can use mag torquers to zero out the reaction wheels. If your orbit avoids the South Atlantic anomaly the radiation isn't too bad.

Sure. There are probably some opportunities there. I've heard a couple that actually make financial sense to me (mostly twists on communications and remote sensing).

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

THE helicopter.buzzing across the lake might belong to Boatpix, based on yo ur description of something like a R22 on floats, at low altitude. Boatpix takes pictures of boats, while sellin hour building time to future commerc ial pilots.

You guys need to read up on current case law, which varies widely from stat e to state. In most cases there will be little remedy to prevent harassment or photography or trespass because FAA has elected to use the same 1948 ca se law as a full size aircraft.

Steve

Reply to
sroberts6328

He is not up there to take pictures. What is wrong with you?

Reply to
John S

I know you can't read, so why post?

Reply to
krw

Doesn't matter. You can take all the pictures you want. It's not illegal and the person in their back yard does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy if they can be seen from your house.

The expectation of privacy is a grey area regarding the drone however. Considering that aircraft in general are not restricted from flying over your house and taking pictures, I think this will end up being ok to take these pictures if/when put to a legal test.

Posting pictures that were taken in this context does not open you to having to pay in a lawsuit unless they are used commercially. Posting on Instagram is not commercial unless you are advertising your business that way.

--

Rick C
Reply to

I almost forgot. If the photo does not show you so you are recognizable (regardless of whether you can tell it's you) you have no basis for complaint.

--

Rick C
Reply to