Kludging a 9.5v 22w supply?

If you needed to come up with a 9.5 v 22w spare laptop power supply, how would you do it?

a) Get a compact 9v output switcher and try to rework it for a slightly higher output voltage?

b) Get a 12 volt unit and add a linear regulator with a big heatsink

c) Get a 12 volt unit and add an additional switching regulator? which regulator?

This is incidentally for an Asus EeePC, which is an astoundingly capable, affordable micro laptop that's too new to have any aftermarket or even manufacturer accessories available. First machine I've ever seen that's small enough to carry, cheap enough to risk carrying, and capable of doing real work... ultraportable terminal, compile code if you must, web browsing... and actually it's just begging for a stack-under USB scope-a-lyzer add on.

Reportedly, 9 volts is not enough to convince it that an external supply is present.

Reply to
cs_posting

Get one of the generic universal switched mode PSUs rated for steps of

1v over a range of 5-24v at eg 70W max output and stick a suitably rated diode in series to drop 10v to about 9.4v. Why make life difficult?

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Diode idea had occured to me, but I wasn't finding ready sources of

10v supplies either.

Guess I will have to look harder. Did you have any specific one in model/source in mind?

Reply to
cs_posting

Okay, I'm seeing some from Velleman meeting your description. I do wonder what the setting element is - resistors? Quite tempting to change change the set point rather than resort to a diode.

Reply to
cs_posting