Inside ACD-477

ACD-477 universal AC/DC adapter; a wall wart. Made by Hosa Tech.

I have several AC/DC adapters that I purchased years ago. They provide switchable DC outputs from 3 to 12 V at 800 ma.

The ACD-477 provides switchable 3 to 12 V at 1200ma. But the ACD-477 is light as a feather compared to the older units (different manufacturers).

What is going on inside the ACD-477? Are they using a toroid or what? Is the schematic available for this or a similar "modern" adapters to look at?

OldGuy

It's probably a switcher. Is it universal (90-240 volts) input?

All that iron and copper was heavy, and expensive.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Like Mr. Larkin said, it's probably a switcher.

There's more than one schematic, with a range from a self-oscillating switcher using a single transistor (and having poor regulation) to fancy- dancy ones that use one or more chips.

Somewhere on the web there's a review of a cheap Chinese knock-off of a nice Apple iPhone supply that shows both ends of the spectrum, with Apple's "everything must be perfect" design philosophy on the one hand, and the Chinese counterfeiter's attitude of "oh, it sells better if it's got these funny CE and UL marks -- we can slap those on".

A web search on "off line regulator" may cough up some chip data sheets, with designs.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

You can call me John. Everybody calls me John, including my kids and grandkids.