Increasing EL inverter drive power

Not sure if the EL material I have available is less efficient than how it used to be back in the day, but this inverter circuit:

Can't drive some replacement EL material (the material tends to itself fade out with time) I've put under the LCD display to very decent brightness. It's too dim under room lighting.

Power is 5V supplied bottom right, I'm assuming the small xfmr is wound like an autotransformer with taps? The circuit is pretty insensitive to component changes, almost any small-signal NPN seems to work, reducing C18, R1, R2 by half has little noticeable effect other than slight psu draw increase. Oscillation freq stays about 800 Hz.

Raising supply voltage to 6, 7, 8 volts increases brightness, oscillation freq stays about the same, whine from the inverter starts to become objectionable.

If the oscillation frequency and power output is mostly determined by the characteristics of the transformer I guess I'm SOL.

Reply to
bitrex

The "squeal" from these inexpensive off-the-shelf EL wire/tape inverters you can buy for Halloween costumes and stuff is revolting!

I have one on the bench driving a five foot section of EL wire from the recommended 12VDC supply and in a quiet house I can hear it whining 30 feet away. irritating high-pitch racket

Has nobody figured out how to make an inexpensive inverter for this stuff that's shushie?

Reply to
bitrex

In my experimenting with EL panels, years ago, I found they're sensitive to the operating frequency. I don't think you can make major changes, such as going above 20kHz, and have them still work OK.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Nope, seems unlikely. 800-2kHz is problematic though because it's around the area where the human ear equal loudness curve bottoms out, even small amounts of whine is easily heard in a quiet room and objectionable. Do you know what causes the whine...magnetostriction in the transformer?

Unfortunately the circuit I posted in the link seems relatively insensitive on operating frequency with respect to component values other than the transformer or supply voltage perhaps it was designed that way. Only way I found to increase the brightness of the small EL sheet it's driving is to increase the input voltage which also increases the whine. Designed to be quiet with the properties of the original load I guess, well doesn't help me much cuz the original part is long gone.

It would be nice to run several lengths on something like a 4192A LF impedance analyzer to see what kind of load they present with respect to frequency, unfortunately still don't have one of those. an impedance analyzer/VNA is next on my to-buy list.

Reply to
bitrex

It's too bad, when this type of tape is driven by a driver with more oomph to it and higher frequency the glow it emits is very pleasing:

It comes out a bit brighter and white-er in the pic than it really is. If not for the fading and drive issues i'd prefer it for LCD backlighting vs the white LEDs cheap LCD displays use for backlighting now which I find really harsh and eye-strain inducing

Reply to
bitrex

Not only that, they fade over time, some get spots, they are all faint and in general give miserable "service" for the bother. The lighting panel for flat screen monitors, etc on the other hand, are very decent and have a simple, quiet driver.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Why not do the voltage conversion at some suitable ultrasonic frequency, smooth the result and then commutate it with a MOSFET bridge at the frequency that the EL device likes?

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

Yeah, if I were going to build my own EL driver board that's how I'd do it. I wouldn't try to do the drive circuitry with discretes there's off the shelf stuff available for that pretty cheap:

Drive that with a boost converter off 5-12 volts, say, boost to ~50, that controller has some active noise-reduction system (the EL material itself emits much of the noise I've read), it would probably drive 20 feet of half-inch wide EL tape OK.

Reply to
bitrex

I think some mfgrs still use EL material in battery-powered devices that must have very long battery life, it can be much more efficient than LED back-lighting. 2mA is plenty to backlight a multimeter screen, say, so you can see it in the dark. But OLED display efficiency may be comparable now

Reply to
bitrex