I don't understand thermostats

Yes, they're called electro-thermal simulation. Mentor has one, there are others, not a whole lot that I can see.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Not yet. A few watts likely.

I can't afford to let the loop go linear here, or I'll toast the amp.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Before I read the other posts, I want to say I was thinking about this on the ride home. The bang-bang control, comes at the oscillation of the P-only control.. but from the other side. (The other side of stability space...) Which is cool. As long as you don't care about the time constant, and some oscillation, then you've got a useful system...

I still say you've got a knob that is the max power of your bang-bang. (and too much power will give oscillations.)

I've been dreaming about building my own thermal test bed. I'll now have to include bang-bang.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

One thing (I think) I've found out about TEC's is that how tightly they are clamped in place, can change the gain. (little pieces of crud between the surfaces can also ruin a day.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I use the electrical model for thermal stuff all the time. It works just fine (to the ~20% level).

I didn't find the modelling very hard at all. I wanted to define a new unit, the thermal ohm... Tohm (degree K [voltage]/Watt[current]) I'm not sure if it should have a "th" sound or just "tee".

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

We tend to call that "theta."

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Would a heat pump count as a thermal gain element?

Reply to
Ralph Barone

My 1996 micro-degree paper (of which you've got a copy) has got an equation for TEC performance, where the summed thermal resistances between the TEC and the object being controlled as well as between the TEC and the output h eatsink influence performance - if either is significant they can really l ower performance. We used graphite cloth as a tidier and better-performing) substitute for zinc-oxide loaded silicone grease.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I've got a Honeywell bimetal thermostat in my junkbox with a 1K hysterisis I use it as a room themometer.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

Imagine trying to build an engine with 5% tolerance parts.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

Yup. For one-offs I sometimes lap the TEC and heat sink together with fine valve grinding compound. Thins down the bond line pretty well.

If you get the hard-solder ones (Ferrotec/Tellurex/Marlow), you can soft-solder them to the load and heat sink, at least for sizes less than

15 mm or thereabouts. That really helps.

With larger TECs, or arrays of them, the shear from CTE mismatch will crack the bismuth-telluride pillars. (The alumina is in compression, so it doesn't usually crack.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Chip design isn't so bad. The whole engine might be too large or too small by up to 30% but at least the parts usually match each other within 0.1% or so.

Reply to
Chris Jones