How to interpret Duracell AA data

This datasheet for a "Duracell AA Power Pix" (ZR6 Zn/NiOOH) cell had me puzzled for some time. It's a one-page datasheet and the screenshot here is the only electrical data on it. The rest is mechanical.

The problem I have is in interpreting the parameters. E.g., for the blue curve it says "1500mW 2s / 650mW 28s 5m/H". I take this to mean 1500mW load for 2 seconds, then 650mW for the next 28 secs. This alternating load is repeated for 5 minutes (10 cycles), and the 5-minute cycle is repeated once every hour. This gives an energy consumption rate of about 4.9 mWh every hour, or simply an average of 4.9mW.

At this rate, it provides 0.72 Wh to 1.2V, or about 147 hours, and 260 hrs to 1.0V. Is this correct?

Reply to
Pimpom

1500mW*2s +650mW*28s = 3000mWs + 18,200mWs=21,200mWs x10 = 212Ws/h =>/3600s/h = 58.8 mW/h (vs 4.9)

Thus if cutoff is 1V , rating is 1.116 Wh using pixel scaling or

1116mWh/58.89mW/h = 18.95h

The 2s test is 1500mW starting at 1.6V or ~ 1.07A but at 1V is 1.5A.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Stewart

The only relevant specification for Duracell primary cells is VLwk (electrolyte leakage volume per week.)

-- john, KE5FX

Reply to
John Miles, KE5FX

Oops. Somehow I made a mistake in the arithmetic. I don't know how that happened - I'm usually very careful about such things. I do remember coming up with the figure 58.888 (recurring) earlier as well as intuitively thinking that 4.9 mW looks too low. Thanks for spotting the error.

However, my real question was about interpreting the cryptic parameters "1500mW 2s / 650mW 28s / 5m/H". Did I get that right?

Reply to
Pimpom

What about MTBBaBU?

(Mean time between buying and binning, unused!)

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk  |    http://www.signal11.org.uk
Reply to
Mike

You two must feel very clever. You don't even have any idea which cell type I'm talking about, do you? Pathetic GG losers.

Reply to
Pimpom

Yes.

This battery only gives 1.1Wh with the lower load profile. The advantage of this profile is that it might resemble a camera that can take over 180 flashes on full charge with one 5 minute session of 10 flashes per hour.

With 1V cutoff for almost a day it will last 18.7h = 1100 mWh / 58.8 mWh.

Reply to
Tony Stewart