How to design voltage loop for three-phase PFC DCM boost Rectifier?

Hello. I am trying to design a simple three phase PFC DCM (discontinuous conduction mode) boost rectifier. I already have designed the power stage and now want to design the controller for the output voltage loop. Can anybody tell me what model should I use for the power stage to design the output voltage compensator? Any other recommendations? Thank you in advance!

Reply to
stuffed_penguin

Hello. Thanks for your concern, but I only want to simulate such a circuit, not build it! ;)

Reply to
stuffed_penguin

the

Why not ask a real electrical engineer? It would be safer.

Reply to
Reg Edwards

stuffed snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com ha scritto:

Which software are you using to simulate it? In MatLab 7 you can find an example of the 3-phase rectifier: you could be inspired by that model to better understand the control loop.

-- Per rispondermi via email sostituisci il risultato dell'operazione (in lettere) dall'indirizzo

Reply to
Fabio G.

Use a PI controller. Messers Zeigler & Nicholls can be used to tune it, without bothering with the actual plant model. Thats what everyone else does.

If you have an inner current loop, then calculate the current loop gain (as seen by the much slower voltage control loop) as

Gc = dIout/dVcontrol

where Vcontrol = output of voltage controller error amp (after whatever diodes, resistive dividers etc are in the way)

because its DCM you will find Gc varies with Vcontrol. One would normally design with Gc(max). When you transition into CCM Gc will become constant.

Then ignore the inductor etc. and "pretend" you have a current source, gain Gc, driving your DC bus cap (inc. ESR) and load, the small-signal response of which is trivial to calculate.

Choose your voltage loop bandwidth less than the inevitable output ripple. In the case of single-phase PFC, 10-20Hz is commonly used, but of course this can be much higher in a 3-phase system.

Cheers Terry (a "real" electrical engineer)

Reply to
Terry Given

Hello. thank you for your replies. I plan on using Saber to simulate the circuit. I will look into Terry's advice. Thanks again to all and if you have more advice send it this way! :)

Reply to
stuffed_penguin