How did they come up with Vacuum Tube numbers/letters

I was trying to find something about this on google and found little. Do the numbers and letters on tubes actually mean anything?

Yes, I know the FIRST digit is the filament voltage

6L6 would be 6.3 volts 12AU7 = 12 volts, 5U4 = 5 volts 35L6G = 35 volts

Ok, but do the numbers and letters after the first have any meaning?

For example, "6SN7". A 6SN7 tube is listed as a "dual triode"

It has a 6 volt filament, but what does the SN7 mean?

One other thing, what is a "heptode"? (another term i found but didn't find any definition)

Thanks

Reply to
experimenter

The 7 has to do with the number of electrodes - in this case, one heater, two cathodes, two grids and two plates.

The letters are basically picked out of thin air. =:-O

Seven electrodes, AKA "pentagrid converter" - it's a local oscillator and mixer all in one.

Didn't look very hard:

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Spurious Response

LOL most interesting read I've had in a long time

Reply to
TTman

They were supposedly issued in order of development.

A filament and two triodes equal 7.

A cool frog. ;-)

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!

Don't forget that the whole '7xxx' series are 6.3-volt filament tubes with "loctal" bases, and that the '14xxx' series is similar with

12.6-volt filaments.

Confused a bit by metal tube nomenclature, where the can (the shield) was grounded through a pin, which was counted as an electron -- so a

6SK7 is a pentode with heater, cathode, three grids, plate, and shield.

So the 6V6 is a beam tetrode (heater, cathode, two grids, plate and shield), while the 6AQ5 is the _exact same innards_ put into a glass envelope, with the loss of the shield 'electrode'.

I read somewhere that the designer was often free to pick unclaimed letter pairs, so initials would sometimes creep in there. Where it made marketing sense (for instance the whole '6S' line of metal-can octal pin tubes with special shielded bases) the company involved would push a system.

Some heptodes for HF service were pentagrid mixers, designed with the intent that you would use an external mixer (to help prevent mixer pulling with a strong received signal close to the local oscillator frequency).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Well, now he might have problems with the 7 series (loctals)...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Not really. They are still easy to find.

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

..i was referring to the filament voltage.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Why? They are 6.3 volts, just like the 6 series. The 7 & 14 were chosen to signify that they were Loctal based, which was expected to replace the Octal series. They cost more, and soon displayed problems with the smaller pins and the problems of some tubes seizing the locking pin so tightly that they couldn't be removed without damaging the tube & the socket. Spare locatal tubes are easy to find. Unused sockets are rare.

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The page I posted a link to covers it entirely.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

I don't think that's it. 6V6 has no shield, nor a need of one. The EIA basing diagram 7AC shows pin 1 is "S/NC", which I've never seen used as anything but a tie point. The pin is usually missing from the tube base.

I guess octals often had plus one. Example: 6X4, a dual indirectly heated power rectifier for radios. 7 pin miniature. The octal was 6X5. Or 6C4, which is a lone 12AU7 triode in 7 pin mini. Octal 6C5.

Supposedly, the letters were assigned more-or-less sequentially. As you go through TV history, you'll see deflection tubes like 6BG6, then 6BQ6, then 6DQ6, then 6LZ6, then...

Rectifiers seem to go the opposite direction sometimes. There's a bunch towards the alphabetical end of the series, like 6X4, 5Y3, 1X2, etc. But there's also 3A3, 6AX4, etc.

There were also numbered designations (e.g., 7199), which I don't know if they had any rules at all. I wouldn't be surprised if ranges were reserved by manufacturers, or by series.

Finally, a new system was invented, the electrode number - letter type - identifier number scheme, from which we have tubes like 2C53 and 2E26, and semiconductors like 1N60, 2N3904 and 4N25.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

The "RCA Receiving Tube Manual: Technical Series RC-19", RCA 1959, clearly denotes pin 1 of a 6V6 as a shield.

Whether the shield was necessary or not, the folks that came up with the metal octal tubes were publicly quite proud of the "shielding" provided. So I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's not why it seems to be called out.

Supposedly -- but how does that explain the whole "6Sxx" metal tube series, which are functional replacements for the "6xx" series of top-cap metal tubes except for RCA's much-ballyhoo'd special base shielding? The fact that RCA got those "6Sxx" numbers (and the apparent violation of the "number of elements" rule for metal tubes) certainly seems to indicate that the manufacturers had quite a bit of latitude in choosing what numbers they could use.

I know that originally there were no rules at all. In fact, the _really_ old tubes like RCA's 201, 210, 224, etc. were quickly copied by other tube manufacturers -- so one company's "UT-10" would be another company's "310" would be RCA's "210". I know that amateur radio operators (and probably the industry) started referring to them as "type

10", "type 45", "type 24", etc. Certainly by the time my 1940 RCA tube manual came out that's how they were referenced.

I think by the time the four-digit numbers were coming out, there was some sort of a system where you could reserve numbers either from the EIA or from JAN.

I know the semiconductor numbers are JAN (Joint Army-Navy) specifications. I don't know if they were shadowed by the EIA, or not.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

The 6AQ5 is in a 7-pin miniature envelope and has lower ratings than the

6V6. The glass envelope equivalent of the 6V6 is the 6V6G.

My RCA Tube Handbook, May 1, 1942, shows: Pin1-6V6 Shell, 6V6-GT-G No. Con. The 6L6 is the same except there's no

6L6-GT.

I built my first oscilloscope in 1942 using a 913. This is a one inch electrostatic deflection CRT. It looks like a 6V6 with a glass screen at the end. The data sheet is dated Jan. 30, 1942, and shows a schematic for an elementary scope.

--
Virg Wall, K6EVE
Reply to

The 6AQ5 is in a miniature seven pin envelope and is rated less than the

6L6 glass equivalent which is the 6L6G.
--
Virg Wall
Reply to

According to the 1953 ARRL Handbook, the _innards_ of the 6AQ5 are the same as the _innards_ of the 6L6. I didn't say they had the same rating, I didn't say the 6AQ5 was the glass equivalent tube, I didn't say you could plug either of them into the same place, I didn't make _any_ of the statements that you are imagining that I made so that you could contradict them. I said that the _inner assembly_ was the same. Not the _outer assembly_. Not the pins. Not the envelope. Etc.

The earlier tube references to the 6AQ5 says "all ratings the same except power dissipation and maximum voltage", both of which are functions of the smaller envelope, but not necessarily a function of what's inside it. To me, that's certainly consistent with the 6AQ5 being the same mechanical assembly as the 6V6 _on the inside_, only put into a 7-pin miniature (yes, I know the 6AQ5 is a 7-pin miniature tube) envelope instead of a metal octal (yes, I know that the 6V6 is a metal octal tube) or a glass octal (yes, I know that both the 6V6-G and 6V6-GT were glass octal tubes).

So, do you know for sure that the early references that I'm going on were incorrect about the _inside part_ of the tubes being the same?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

You're the one that's "imagining" a lot from my completely true 22 word statement which you quoted above!

The RCA Handbook agrees with your "knowledge". My copy is the May 1952 edition, and I assume the 1953 ARRL Handbook used that as a reference.

--
Virg Wall, K6EVE
Reply to

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Rich Grise Inscribed thus:

Great video ! I've seen it used as a teaching aid as well !

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.