Holon11 and Tech Arts Microstamp11

I also posted this in the news group comp.lang.forth but wanted to maximize my chances that somebody who could help would see it. I didn't cross-post to keep the clutter down on both groups.

I need a jump-start. I've got the hardware and the software mentioned in the subject line, but I can't get them to play together nicely.

I *think* the problem revolves around my inability to download IMON, PMON or EMON to the Microstamp. Or, worse yet, to even be able to figure out which one should work with the Microstamp.

I've Googled for the occurance of both Holon11 and Microstamp11 in the same place and come up with no hits either in web pages or news groups.

If there is someone here who can take me by the hand and lead me up the "learning curve", I'd be a very happy FORTHer.

Jim

Reply to
James Meyer

I use microstamps, but with icc11.. dont know too much about forth but I'll help with the microstamps...

Reply to
BobG

I know microcontrollers, but of Forth little I do know.

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm

On 31 May 2005 13:45:13 -0700, "BobG" wroth:

OK Bob and Luhan,

Holon needs to use the "special bootstrap mode" to put a small monitor program into the 68HC11. I guess there is already a monitor program of sorts put in there by Tech Arts.

Is the special bootstrap mode available on the Microstamp? Is that what the "load" switch does? Or does the load switch only allow access to the

*external* EPROM?

Jim

Reply to
James Meyer

Holon needs to use the "special bootstrap mode" to put a small monitor program into the 68HC11. I guess there is already a monitor program of sorts put in there by Tech Arts.

Is the special bootstrap mode available on the Microstamp? Is that what the "load" switch does? Or does the load switch only allow access to the

*external* EPROM? ===================== Nope... Tech Arts didn't do anything special... regular old hc11d0 has a bootstrap rom.... its specific operation is speeled out in excruciating detail in the moto appnotes, but in general, on reset in bootstrap mode, it waits for an FF, then loads 265 bytes of binary program at 0x0000 and jumps to it. The default baud rate for an 8MHz xtal is 1200 baud... tech arts used to just use a batch file to copy /b to com1 at 1200 baud. The load sw forces mode a and b lo for bootstarap mode. All this is in the tech arts manual AND in the moto data sheets. Tech Arts has a nice whizzy windows loader called Microload on their site... pretty easy....
Reply to
BobG

And I guess I should add that the special part is that Tech Arts boots their page mode atmel rom burner using bootstrap mode... its called msload.bin... this is done automagically by their Microload program... get that....

Reply to
BobG

On 1 Jun 2005 12:49:15 -0700, "BobG" wroth:

I just discovered that the Microstamp is able to use PCBug11 for programming and debugging. PCBug uses the special bootstrap mode to download a "talker". That means that the Microstamp should be compatable with Holon as well.

I'll put Holon on the back burner until I can get PCBug to talk to the Microstamp. There are several flavors of PCBug, so hopefully I can get one to work. With that experience under my belt, I may have enough info to tackle Holon again.

My first embedded project, many years ago, was written in part in FORTH. I really liked the whole concept of FORTH. I haven't done much programming lately and I wanted to try again to see if it really was as good as I remember.

Thanks for the feedback,

Jim

Reply to
James Meyer

On 1 Jun 2005 12:52:33 -0700, "BobG" wroth:

I got their whole starter kit with the CD full of tools. It's just that there are so many different ways to skin the cat that I got sidetracked.

I'll start with something simple to build up my confidence and then maybe the whole Holon thing will fall into place.

Thanks,

Jim

Reply to
James Meyer