High Quality, Buildable Audio Preamp Design On Net?

Hi,

Are there any high quality, easily buildable audio preamp designs available on the net? I found quite a few but I'm not knowledgeable enough to judge how good they are.

I am upgrading my stereo power amp (PS-Audio A-100 current favorite) and need a good quality preamp, including phono, to match. I would prefer to build from a design or kit. I designed a preamp for my old power amp but it won't be adequate for the replacement.

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
abby

Have you tried googling?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Michael

-- EVERYONE who supported slavery was free. EVERYONE who supports abortion was born. That's how oppression works. "They're not really people" - we've heard that before! -

mrdarrett

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

Unfortunately, those circuits are similar to those I already found. I dismissed them because high feedback circuits are deprecated. Low feedback, very linear circuits are considered superior. Are there any of those on the net?

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
abby

Silicon Chip have published several over the years, like this one:

They have done many individual preamp modules and phono modules etc too.

The articles usually come with full AP and other test results, so you know what performance you are getting.

Kits are usually available from Altronics or Jaycar:

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

one:

Extra info:

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

one:

Ooooooh! Such a steal ;-)

...Jim Thompson

At over 80 and growing this is by far the most responses to any of my queries. And some actually addressed the question! :-)

Pardon my naiveté. I have seen so many references to the feedback issue (IIRC, including in this newsgroup recently) I'd assumed it is a given. Apparently, not.

What I infer from the responses, particular jd_lark's, is that the main culprit is transient intermodulation, TIM. Given sufficient bandwidth, slew rate, and power supply voltages the feedback related problems go away or, at least, become minimal. And current devices can do that. Is that correct or am I still missing something? I should point out that I am interested primarily in preamps.

I do agree about audiophiles. While I'm sure there is a rare individual who can tell the difference between Monster cables and zip wire too many "audiophiles" are little more than spec-junkies. I guess I am not a true audiophile because my speaker wires are the zip cord the guy who sold me the speakers gave me. Some of you might find PS Audio's site interesting, psaudio.com. They offer some expensive power conditioning equipment (in case your audio designer couldn't produce a decent power supply) including a $999USD power cord.

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
abby

become

TIM mostly comes from the dead-band region in a class-B output stage. It can take a helluva slew rate to avoid. Better attacked by a stable class-AB bias scheme.

can

...Jim Thompson

Obama is about to make Herbert Hoover look like a financial genius

(IIRC,

culprit

become

ISTR something about the audio pulses and Fourier transforms showing that much of the claimed distortion was artifacts of using audio tone bursts. It seems that the modulation used to create the tone bursts caused most if not all of the measured distortion.

can

Reply to
JosephKK