google buys Motorola

Men plan; Schumpeter laughs.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

Not exactly. Production in Japan was initially due to low labor costs, true, but that was only part of the story. The practice of "dumping" by the Japanese on America was strictly Japanese business sense. As early as the 50s, Japanese housewives were marching in protest at the high prices charged Japanese consumers for TVs. This while dumping same said TVs at astonishingly low prices in the US to successfully gut the market. In short, this practice of dumping, supported by exorbitant prices in Japan and Japanese govt support drove the practice to new heights. Motorcycles were another benefactor. Later cars. Most of this changed when many US companies, initially led by Harely-Davidson, finally demanded protection from dumping. Later, it became cheaper to build in the US --hence US Japanese car companies-- than face high import tariffs. Also, the now prosperous Japanese consumer demanded higer wages to buy all this stuff.

That's still a practice, but less so than in the past. Specially with food, Japan no longer able to feed her own ever growing population. Another approach was to partner up with a Japanese company to get around import duties, which our company did in the 90s.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs

Good info. I remember seeing all this occur as the decades ticked by.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

Next thing you know he'll tell us Toshiba doesn't break down to Tokyo Shibura.

From what I can gather the public safety radio is still Motorola proper. However a lot of public safety now uses MESH networking gear and Moto is big on that.