Germany declares Microsoft's FAT patent not valid.

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:Rv57k5MKo7AJ:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table+zz+VFAT

I suppose that's one way to promote UDF :)

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

ms-dos has supported filenames containing blanks (ASCII 32) for as long as I can remember (atleast back as far as 3.3) command-line support for them is a different matter.

what tools are you using?

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

Slackware 11.0 :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Why do you have a problem with filenames containing embedded spaces? I can understand back in the '70s/'80s how they could've been rather annoying, but certainly they've existed in various operating systems for many decades now, and they're not at all difficult for a modern piece of software (including shells) to deal with... (Heck, the ancient Commodore PET floppy drives had them back in the late '70s, and that was already a "personal" computer!)

If you use 4NT, I have seen a free batch file that makes filenames all uppercase and replaces spaces with underscores; if that sort of pre-historic computer look appeals to you, it might be worth checking out. :-)

---Joel Kolstad

Reply to
Joel Kolstad