Fun challenge: cat-5 cable tester

Cat-5 is four twisted pair, as used in 100base-T. Not all cat-5 (or cat-anything) is plenum rated. To be run in a plenum it has to be rated, um, "plenum". ;-) Plenum rated cat-5 cable is 2-5x the price of non-plenum rated cable.

--
  Leoth
Reply to

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

NEMA ratings?

Reply to
JeffM

Speff, is your clock stuck?

--
  Keith
Reply to

Ah, I keep it running about 10-15 minutes fast, just because.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

But, does the tech have to go to the other end to install the resistor network?

If he can go there twice in one run, then you won't need any resistors or diodes or anything. Make two shorting jacks:

1 o-------+ | 2 o-------+ 3 o-------+ | 4 o-------+ 5 o-------+ | 6 o-------+ 7 o-------+ | 8 o-------+

and

1 o----------------+ | 2 o-------+ | | | 3 o-------+ | | 4 o-------+ | | | 5 o-------+ | | 6 o-------+ | | | 7 o-------+ | | 8 o----------------+

And just check each pair in turn for continuity and shorts to other pairs.

Or, like Michael A said, use a TDR. :-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

That's because they all know better. The original design is just plain silly. It'd be a nightmare to try to get it to do what you seem to want to do. If what you want to do is test cables, then use my two shorting jacks, otherwise, just get a handful of resistors, put a stack in a

1-2-4-8-16-... sequence, and start playing with the damn thing!

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

That would make his job twice as hard, wouldn't it?

Your plan won't detect swapping the 1-2 pair with the 3-4 pair, for example.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

That wasn't my point. OF COURSE THERE ARE BETTER CABLE TESTERS.

That's what makes it an interesting challenge!

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Well thats fucken fantastic. If you know what you want to do then why are you here asking stupid questions about irrelavent drivel?

Its because no one really gives a f*ck, and most people here would take the simple solution.

Do your own homework.

Reply to
The Real Andy

Obviously, people like you just aren't interested in mental challenges.

And obviously you can't read, because the subject clearly states "fun challenge". You probably don't do the crossword puzzle either, because the editor should have found the answers himself.

Sorry, I've been out of school for two decades now.

DJ Delorie

Define a 'Mental Challenge'. Working with the business is mentally challenging.

I have a life, thats the difference.

Thats the kind of resume I dump straight into the bin. Esentially nil commercial experience, and the rest spent re-inventing the wheel.

Reply to
The Real Andy