Forgotten the word for "round robin" ing.

I wish there was a way to ask for a word with a vague description. I've used this word so many times, but it's fallen out of my memory. In electronics, specifically computers, a chip which takes a lane of data and shares it into say 4. These 4 devices take turns accessing the lane. The chip that splits this is called a _____. I think the word begins with T.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

rbowman

time division multiplexing?

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Multiplexor, that was it.

Now er.... explain why your link to a DE-multiplexer looks like what I'd call a multiplexer? I say multiplexer when I mean something that splits something into parts. For example allowing four PCI-E devices to connect to one bus, alternately.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Brits do things backwards?

You can call it anything you want but a mxby any other name is a mux.

Reply to
rbowman

Only if it's bidirectional, i.e. a transmission gate. If it's logic-based, not so. For instance, a 74HC138 is only a demux, and a

74HC158 is only a mux.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Ah, I only have bidirectional ones. PCI Express bus sharing chips. You're not supposed to plug 12 graphics cards into one motherboard!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey