EU rules to force USB-C chargers for all phones

EU rules to force USB-C chargers for all phones

wil also go for Apple, and smartphones tablets cameras headphones portable speakers handheld video game consoles

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I can't really see why Apple are objecting to this. After all, they were part of the group that developed USB-C and use it for many products.

If only there was just one type of USB-C charger...

John

Reply to
John Walliker

less money made on selling proprietary and protected Lightning devices

there is, just with varying power levels

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

They're just happy someone came up with a low-profile USB connector that didn't suck after like 20 years of trying

Reply to
bitrex

Micro USB was such flaky garbage everyone should be happy to see the back of it.

"Apple has warned such a move would harm innovation."

Gimme a break, they haven't done shit that was novel with the Lightning connector since it was introduced. And that's a good thing for data/power connection standards, if they ain't broke DO NOT fix them.

Reply to
bitrex

Apple is already using USB-C on the newer MacBooks.

I guess that the connector limits the thinness of a phone.

Reply to
Tauno Voipio

On a sunny day (Fri, 24 Sep 2021 12:49:01 +0300) it happened Tauno Voipio snipped-for-privacy@notused.fi.invalid> wrote in <sik6uf$ngb$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Not much I think, is thiiner than old USB, my Xiaomi has it.

did see a comment from Apple on CNN:

are right in a way of course, OTOH ever new standards ever new products, same was for TV BW, analog color, digital HD digital utra HD...

What was that joke about so many standards to chose from?

They oould perhaps make an adaptor cable (with chip).

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

And the Lightning is vulnerable with its exposed contact surfaces.

I think USB C should last a while.

Reply to
David Lesher

Even if the cables don't. I haven't been able to find a vendor of quality USB-C cables. Many seem to fail after a few months getting sloppy at the wire end of the connector. Paying more doesn't seem to correlate with higher quality.

Reply to
Rick C

Better than some micro USB cables I've tried which seemed to sometimes be able to destroy their ability to establish a data connection via some unknown process after only a week or two of use

Reply to
bitrex

Pretty much all phones now use a widely adopted standard, whther usb or lightning. So where is the upside in this? On the downside, clearly it makes the next better standard illegal & thus unsellable. Is that a plus?

Reply to
Tabby

I agree with this. A full featured usb-c cable is way too stiff and puts too much strain on the cable and device. They just seem like miniaturized infiniband CX4 cables in practice.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Because one of those is not a standard, it's proprietary to one company, and one that obsoletes their previous choice at their own whim.

Reply to
David Lesher