Do I want a cellphone tower on my property?

But it's a stupid way to live.

Just because your rich, doesn't mean your not stupid.

So many people live paycheck to paycheck, that it should be said in a dozen ways in the same sentence as an effort to get through to people. It seems it would be stressful to have debt and know that a single car repair is going to make you late on a payment.

There are a few reasons that will put you in an economic rat hole, and medical expenses would be high on the list. Being mentally slow and not being able to develop a valuable skill will also hold you back. A poor choice of spouse is another. I'm sure being ugly makes it much more difficult. Just getting ahead $10k or $100k would make such a difference in a families life. The big plus is once you have saved your way to $100k, it's something you want to protect, this makes it easier to say no to stupid purchases.

The OP is trying to figure out his options, but the tower needs to go somewhere, so if he can profit by it, good for him. Positives - Negatives = Profit

My chances now are slim, so no concern. :-)

Reply to
amdx

That's probably because there aren't going to be very many 5G microwave handsets. That's because 5G is really made for IoT (Internet of Things) which are likely to resemble modular RF modems and wireless hot spots. Initially, there will probably be some promotional handheld devices offered to see if the GUM (great unwashed masses) are interested, but most of the money will be in IoT, driverless cars, and an alternative to cable and DSL connectivity. If the RF paranoids want to destroy 5G, assaulting the "towers" would be more effective.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Ok, agree with what? You previous stated:

yes, but these are installed INSIDE the chamber. And the OUTSIDE is copper screen or other conductive REFLECTIVE surface. m

Yes, I agree that RF test chambers are made with copper (or brass) screen material. I would half way agree that some "other conductive reflective surface" might be an appropriate substitute for building a screen room. Much depends on the selected material. You didn't mention it, but I consider an RF absorptive material to be a more economical and in some ways better choice if one is interested in shielding one's home from the evil mmWave RF.

If that doesn't work, one could always distribute some Organite around the property to neutralize the evil RF waves:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Are you sure? The bottom end of the 1.2GHz ham band (1215-1240) was removed from amateur radio service at about the same time in order to make room for GPS (Navstar). The ham band is currently from 1240 to

1300MHz. Block 1 satellites were launched starting in 1978 and used the 1215-1240 frequencies for the L2 frequencies: I don't see how the US military would tolerate a system that used frequencies occupied by microwave ovens. I was marginally involved in early GPS and I never heard of any mention of European microwave oven interference.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Re the dBSv scale...

it is interesting that there is ONLY a 20 dB difference between normal background and the short term dose that causes symptoms.

In the US, a radiation worker is allowed 10x background.

And 10x above that causes symptom.

I never realized how close to the edge our natural environment is.

Natural background pr year = -24 dBSv Max dose per year for US radiation worker = -13 dBSv Short term dose to cause symptoms -4 dBSv

Another way to look at that, is after 100 years on this Earth everyone has a dose that causes symptoms.

Maybe background radiation causes aging.

makolber

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

By then none of your cells are reproducing anyway.

God did it. We get 120 years. Noah got 950.

Stir up the Galaxy a bit and particle bombardment limits us.

We are lucky he let us have one last chance at all.

Most of you/us will roast. Even the purple shoe crew did not nor will not escape.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Well, that's the purpose of log scales, isn't it?

It's interesting to reflect on the way our hereditary material is kept intact from generation to generation. Defective copies get eradicated early.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Another way to look at it is to say that our coping and repair mechanisms have developed to deal with the background radiation, without being excessive. I.e. it's no coincidence that we run close to the limit.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

The parcels are large around here, and can't be subdivided today into pieces smaller than 20 acres, so I don't have many neighbors. I would guess about four of us have usable sites.

Around 5 or 6 years ago a small ISP came by looking for a spot for their tower. They call it a tower, but it only stands ~7 feet tall. They needed line-of-sight to dishes in another canyon, and I needed something better than dial-up. They have their solar panels and batteries and dishes set up, and I have free 20 Mb internet service. It's, um, microwave =^/ I didn't know about orgonite, maybe better get some now.

I'm waiting for more information. She has my contact info.

It was a white Range Rover. Never actually said she was from AT&T, just that AT&T is looking and pays $800/mo. I may be outvoted though, two other family members don't like this.

Reply to
Banders

Not exactly.... While the hot dog resonance has not doubled in the last few decades, the fat content has. Also, I think they've since renamed the 1.2 GHz "ham" band to the "pork" band. :)

Sorry to have missed some of the technical discussion [rant/drivel in some cases] on RF radiation. Had some personal travel.

Reply to
mpm

Sounds like AT&T just issued Search Rings to "the usual suspects" and they are out now trying to locate suitable candidate properties. This is the normal way it is done. Carriers don't usually approach land owners directly.

Reply to
mpm

A tower has three or four legs. Lattice construction is considered a tower. A pole or monopole has one leg. Height is not relevant.

Orgonite is commonly available: Try craft faires, hobby shops, mystical healing stores, New Age accessory vendors, Radiation Paranoia web sites, TowerBusters clubs, etc. Or, just make some: Even if it doesn't work, it's something to keep the kids busy.

About 10 years ago, I was finding Orgonite pyramids around various mountain top tower sites. Some were really works of art. A few had spikes molded into the resin intended to cause tire or foot damage. Don't do that.

Also, you might notice from the photos of Orgonite that there is quite a bit of copper wire involved in their construction. Copper theft at was and still is a serious problem. I suggest you refrain from that method of collecting Organite ingredients.

I would be careful here. There are web sites offering to "help" property owners obtain cell sites and associated revenue on their property. Mostly, they're an extra middle-person extracting a percentage of the proceeds or realtors looking for some extra income. I've personally never run into someone like that, but I'm told that they do exist. You might want to research their employer and determine if there really is an AT&T connection. As I previously mentioned, I find it odd that you were contacted directly by AT&T and not by Crown Castle. Note: The photo in the above URL is *NOT* a small cell.

Also, most realtors drive flashy, comfortable, and expensive cars to impress their clients when touring prospective properties.

Be glad it's just family, not neighbors. This is what happened to us when the neighbors found out there was a cell tower planned in their back yard: Little was accomplished by this group, especially because I volunteered to be their technical advisor. They did make enough noise to be noticed by the press. The tower was never built, mostly because the local realtors hired by Verizon were so inept that they failed to supply the county with necessary details, three times. Verizon also had an interesting attitude. Their engineer casually mentioned that he had a very long waiting list of communities actively seeking cellular coverage, all of which were more than willing to cooperate. Verizon might get back to this site in a few decades.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Alway ask for federal tax id number. That stops the frauds in their tracks, and lets one find out more about that particular firm.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

My brother said his newer IPhone was working 5G in Baltimore area.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

1 Sv = 1 J/kg i.e. how much energy is absorbed by 1 kg of tissue, so definitively 10 x log.

The background is usually given for the 1 year dose, so those figures are actually dose rates and the unit is W/kg, which is the average power absorbed by 1 kg of tissue.

In a year here are 365 x 24 x 3600 = 31536000 seconds and converted to decibels that is 75 dBs.

The 2 Sv/a is -27 dbSv/a = -27 dbSv/a - 75dBs = -102 dbW/kg.

As a comparison the RF noise density at 300 K environment is -174 dBm/Hz = -204 dBW/Hz. At 10 GHz = +100 dBHz bandwidth, the thermal noise is -204 dBW/Hz + 100 dBHz = -104 dBW, i.e. comparable to the radioactive background radiation. This is the power level flowing around and through the tissues, which only partially absorbers it.

A better comparison for non-ionized radiation is the SAR the Specific Absorbtion Rate expressed in W/kg. Various RF-exposure standards allow

2 W/kg = + 3 dBW/kg., which is +3 dBW/kg - -204 dbW/kg = 207 dB stronger than the exposure of ionized background.

I hope I got the calculations correct.

Reply to
upsidedown

Probably AT&T and their phoney 5Ge label. The "e" means evolution, which is marketing speak for "real-soon-now". It's really just LTE(4G).

"5G Phones: Every Known Phone and Release Date" Hmmm... no Apple phones listed but does mention that And right now, all signs point to Apple sitting out the 5G rollout in 2019.

It will be interesting to see which phones will operate on the mmWave

28-40GHz frequencies and how well they work: "First Verizon 5G Speed Tests: Fast But Frustrating"
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

The original protest was over a proposed tower in the middle of downtown Boulder Creek (BC). The monopole on top of a nearby mountain covers far too large an area and therefore tends to get overloaded. The tower in BC was intended to move some of the traffic away from the site on the mountain. It wouldn't have worked anyway because most of the traffic is coming from unlimited data plan home users on tethered phones or hotspots and who are quite far away from BC.

This is really old (2003). The monopole on Empire Grade is:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

In a previous (voice only) era, the real point of microwave cellsite backhaul was to compete against the LEC's outragous T1 rates. Almost as if it was magic, when dishes started appearing, T1 pricing got far more flexible.

David Lesher